Pizza Sauce w/Whole Canned Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Esenthiel

Assistant Cook
For about a year now I've been making my own pizzas from scratch, and I must say yesterday I made the best pizzas I have ever made to date. I used to use pureed tomatoes in a can, but yesterday I decided to try whole peeled canned tomatoes for the sauce. The sauce was quite good, but it was a wee bit tart. With 56oz (two 280z cans) of whole tomatoes, I think I put in about a cup of to two cups of sugar to counter the tartness, but it still retained a little bit of tartness.

So, my question is, what can I do to counter this tartness?

Also, what does everyone use for their dough recipe? I tend to make two batches (for four pizzas) using flour, salt, water, yeast, olive oil. I've read that Neapolitan pizza uses only flour, water, and yeast - but is that dough better than the one with salt and olive oil?

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope you respond. :)

Wow, you definitely have a sweet tooth!

Not sure what you mean by tart. Are the tomatoes too acidic for you? Maybe you're just using too many. Then again, it could be the brand you're using. I think Muir Glen makes the best canned tomatoes and their fire-roasted are absolutely delicious!

Using a 14-15 ounce can (I like whole too) I'll puree the tomatoes first in the food processor. Saute some minced garlic in olive oil for about 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, S&P. Cook on low-medium heat for about 20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add fresh basil and you're ready to go.

Here's the recipe that I use. ( well that I work with, I change it around everytime)

Mark's oh so good pizza sauce.

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1/2 cup diced onions
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano ( Greek!!)
5 cloves garlic, diced and sauted in evoo
1/2 teaspoon fennel
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions:
Dice your garlic and onions saute them in a little evoo. In the same pan add tomatoes and tomatoe paste. Add all the spices. Cook over medium heat until thick. Taste often, just so you can add more spices if needed.

I really don't measure anything anymore... just throw it all in a pot and taste often.

By tart... it's like almost a sour sort of taste. It could very well be the brand I used. It was Smokelies or something like that...

PDS, in my experience, starting w/whole tomatoes ends in a much more flavorful sauce than paste/diced pre-diced. Looking at your recipe, I've used much of the same in various sauce recipes of my own, but never fennel. I may try that next time. Thanks.

You're welcome. I've used the whole tomatoes too... like I said I always change the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom