Pizza with cashew cheese.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
First off has anyone tried this, is it good? And secondly I noticed the cheese contains coconut oil. Can that handle 500 degrees without issue?

Of course it is good tasting, good for you, another issue. What item can you name that doesn't take good if it is oil/buttery and salty? Bacon, handfuls of salted nuts, doritos, salted caramel or toffee, all good tasting.

Coconut oil, extracted has a high smoke point, it might be fine, cashew oil from nuts might not be so healthy at that temperature. But if taste is your final concern, then yes, it is good.

Herself decided to go plant-based, so I bought several vegan cheeses. The VioLife parmesan and the Kite Hill cream cheese were quite good. The mozzarella-style blocks were middling—they lacked the soft texture. The cheddar stuff has so far been poor: odd color (mustardy gray) or shredded (bright yellow with a plastic stiffness and odd melting).

She's relaxed her diet somewhat, which simplifies shopping.

Vegan cheeses have come a long way.
I have made them, eaten them and cooked with them.
I even took a vegan cheese tasting class online during he pandemic.

the tastes are getting close ( with certain cheeses)

BUT and a big BUT

The consistency when cooked/ melted is sub par
it does not really have the same texture as its counterpart.
It is not stretchy and lacks that kinda dairy feel/ smell.

Its ok on pizza, but still has a strange slimy feel to it.

So far, as far as frozen pizzas go, Black Bird kale/ mushroom pizza was pretty good ( the crust is fantastic). I haven't tried their other varieties yet.

I get the " Veg News" magazine. Coincidentally, this months main story is on Vegan cheese. I just got it today and haven't read it yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 9.59.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 9.59.52 PM.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.02.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 10.02.42 PM.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 29
It certainly didn't melt well, which I didn't expect considering how soft it was at the start. It tasted pretty bland. Maybe it's the tapioca content. I was initially looking for almond cheese but Wholefoods was out at the time.

It certainly didn't melt well, which I didn't expect considering how soft it was at the start. It tasted pretty bland. Maybe it's the tapioca content. I was initially looking for almond cheese but Wholefoods was out at the time.

Ive never had a vegan cheese that meted well ( or at east with a good meted consistency).
They either soften up ( slightly) but retain their shape, as not to cook like they melted at all. or they get this kinda slimy runny-ness to them that kinda coats your mouth when you eat it.

Ive found cheeses that dont taste bad in their uncooked/ 'melted' form, but none mimic regular cheese when I comes to melting ( not even close).

Im sure they are working on it , and hopefully, just like they got a decent meat substitute in burgers ( with beyond meat and impossible), they will come up. with a cheese with good physical cooking properties.

https://sweetsimplevegan.com/2018/03/stretchy-vegan-mozzarella-cheese/

If you use a recipe like this with tapioca, it does get a slightly stringy like mozzarella. It is good if applied to a pizza hot, but it is not good baked and dried out, or cold. When it is baked or dried out, or cold, it is more like a dough.
It looks like this when hot.
Stretchy_Vegan_Mozzarella_Cheese_Vegan_Oil_Free_Sweet_Simple_Vegan_Full.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom