Please Help - How to Cook these Ingredients?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BR549

Assistant Cook
Hello. I am asking for help here because the dozens of recipes that I find on line are well beyond my interest in performing.

I have the following ingredients to make a simple soup or something.

tomatoes
onions
carrots
olive oil
water
salt
pepper

How could I cook any or all of this so it would be edible and I would not have to choke it down?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Fry the onion in the olive oil till browned, chop and add tomatoes with same amount of water as tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till soft and puree the mix. Add grated carrot and cook till carrots are tender. and viola soup. Do you have other spices or anything else you can add?

Cut tomatoes in half and seed them
Sprinkle with salt & pepper
Dice onion and grate carrot, then sauté in olive oil til lightly brown
Put mixture in onion halves and grill or bake until tomato is cooked through (some cheese for the top would be nice)
Use water to wash hands ;^)

Thanks for the help. Those do sound tasty. I should have been more specific.

I'd rather not use a frying pan or the oven - too messy. I'm really not the cooking type. I have a microwave, blender and crock pot. I could buy a pot to boil water on the stove if needed.

Right now I want to add tomatoes and onions to my diet. I was a fast food eater but now I'm trying to eat healthier food. I buy groceries 3 times a week.

I grow and eat broccoli sprouts. And I drink a fruit and veggie blended smoothie 2 or 3 times a day - collard greens, carrots, lemon, apple, strawberries, pineapple, water.

Last edited:
Small dice the tomato and onion, add a few diced jalapeño and/or serrano chilis, a little fresh cilantro, some lime juice or cider vinegar, and create pico de gallo, a.k.a. salsa fresca, which you can use as a condiment on just about any meat, poultry, fish or vegetable recipe.

Small dice the tomato and onion, add a few diced jalapeño and/or serrano chilis, a little fresh cilantro, some lime juice or cider vinegar, and create pico de gallo, a.k.a. salsa fresca, which you can use as a condiment on just about any meat, poultry, fish or vegetable recipe.

Yes, if you go grocery shopping three times/week, you could certainly add to your original ingredient list, like this suggestion calls for. Pico is great simply rolled up in a tortilla, too. And requires no cooking.

I'm only using onions, tomatoes, olive oil, carrots, salt, pepper, and water. Something simple.

Perhaps I could boil the carrots in the microwave. Blend the tomatoes, onions and water. Put all together with olive oil and heat in the microwave?

I am off to buy groceries now: pickle relish, mayonnaise, yogurt and salsa.

Last edited:
Very tasty stew - mmm mmm good. I added picante sauce (salsa) to the ingredients to flavor it up. Here's what I did - my new recipe taped to my fridge :).

Cut up 1/2 pound of carrots.
Put in quart microwave container.
Cover with water.
Microwave for 10 minutes on high.

Cut up a quart container full of tomatoes.
Cut up one onion.
Put this in a blender.
Add water to half fill the blender.
Blend for a minute.

Pour the blended mixture into 2 microwavable quart containers.
Microwave on high for 10 minutes (1200w microwave).
Stir.
Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Stir.
Microwave on 50% for 5 minutes.
Stir.
Add the following to each container and stir.
small amount of picante sauce - about 1/8 oz.
small amount of olive oil - about 1/8 oz.
small amount of water - about 1/4 oz.
Microwave on 50% for 5 minutes.

Makes about 1 3/4 quarts.

I'm eating my 2nd bowl now - good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only using onions, tomatoes, olive oil, carrots, salt, pepper, and water. Something simple.

Perhaps I could boil the carrots in the microwave. Blend the tomatoes, onions and water. Put all together with olive oil and heat in the microwave?

I am off to buy groceries now: pickle relish, mayonnaise, yogurt and salsa.

Haha, you keep very incomplete ingredients. Invest in that "better than bullion" and make a broth with that, throw in that stuff and make a simple soup, then just eat with rolls or something. You sound like you don't really wanna cook or prep much. You could make a blended soup as someone suggested, but I think you said that was too much a bother.

Very pleased with the recipe that I used and posted. One thing that I did not like was the onion really smelled up the place when cooking in the microwave.

I definitely will be using this recipe from now on. Kind of wanting to eat some more of this stew now.

But if anyone has anything easier to prepare and clean up, I'm definitely interested.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom