Popcorn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
As I am new, this may have been already addressed, however, the best popcorn DH has ever has had is by doing this: cover a pan bottom with oil, on med hi heat and 3 kernels to pop , when that happens, cover the bottom with kernels. Cover, then listen till it stops. No need to shake as the corn is moving. I cut up butter into tiny pieces and lightly salt. No need to melt butter. Mix into popcorn.

This is so much better than microwave, and just as quick! Got some Amish Ladyfinger with no hulls.

Cool technique! I prefer stovetop over microwave. I might try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

That is the way we do it but, we keep shaking until it stops popping. The only other way we did it as kids was the Jiffypop. We set that on fire but, we had fun watching it. It did not take much to amuse us.

I make mine in a skillet with 1/4 cup kernels. It's plenty to fill the pan when done. I use buttery spray and grated parmessan instead of salt.

I have a popper that uses olive oil and has a stir bar that moves the kernels around, and it pops up and up and then you flip it and it's a bowl. The popcorn tastes amazing when we use our olive oil from greece.

The bag of popcorn I purchased a few days ago have the same instructions in the back to cover the bottom with oil then add 3 kernels. When I make popcorn I like to shake the pan I also like to use corn oil. Yes! I find it wayyy better than microwave also.

I have one piece of Magnalite cookware left from a set my wife and I got over 20 years ago. (99 year warranty for a company that went out of business:mad:) Anyway, its a 2 quart pot thats only use is for popping corn. I use Orville Redenbacker and vege oil. I cover the bottom of the pot with kernels, and then add some oil. I move it around to ensure all the kernels are coated and then turn on the heat. Once it starts popping I gently shake. I'll pour some off into a bowl when it pops the top off and then back on the heat until it stops popping. Pretty simple and have been doing it the same way for 30 years! When I was young, in the '70s, one of my mothers friends used different season salts on her popcorn, and I have been hooked ever since. My wife is partial to a bbq rub, some parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. I mix mine up, but McCormicks Chicken seasoning has been a mainstay for a lot of years. My all time favorite, though, is cheese popcorn. I take the powdered cheese from a box of Kraft mac and cheese and dust it on, fantastic!!!! If you can't tell, I LOVE popcorn.

I've always just heated the kernels without any oil, but I guess it works both ways :chef:. I don't put the butter directly on the popcorn because if you put a lot (like I do) then it gets soggy, so I heat the butter (in the same pan after I take the popcorn out) and boil off the water in the butter. Once it stops sizzling, all the water is gone and you pour it on with lots of salt.

texherp said:
I've always just heated the kernels without any oil, but I guess it works both ways :chef:. I don't put the butter directly on the popcorn because if you put a lot (like I do) then it gets soggy, so I heat the butter (in the same pan after I take the popcorn out) and boil off the water in the butter. Once it stops sizzling, all the water is gone and you pour it on with lots of salt.

Had no idea. Stovetop air popped!

Kernel Seasons makes some good popcorn seasoning, fairly low sodium and can be used on other stuff.

I've always loved popcorn and have even been known to have nothing but that for supper.

I also have fun during the holidays making popcorn cakes, Christmas trees, balls, etc. Our grandchildren love it. I even make colored ones (using powdered Jell-O), such as orange ones at Halloween and adding candy corn to them.

At any rate, the popper we've had for years and wouldn't trade for anything is a Whirley-Pop. At the risk of sounding like a commercial, it's easy to use, easy to clean, quick, uses very little oil, and (best of all) rarely leaves any unpopped kernels.

We get our corn from an area Amish market and, so far, like the Ladyfinger the best.

Back
Top Bottom