Pope Yes Chicken (AKA Popeye's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never eaten at one and never saw one of their signs.
Even with all this talk, if I drove past one next year I probably still would not associate Popeyes with chicken. I think it's an interesting name choice for a fried chicken joint.

Katie, thanks for putting it back. I was about to ask about it.

For the record. I also enjoy KFC's extra crispy fried chicken. Their sides - not so much. The addition of the spicy option at Popeyes and the great sides makes the difference.

BTW, their Cajun fries are also quite good. Tasty and crisp. SO had popcorn shrimp which she liked.

And I am going crazy for some Popeye's/Pope Yes chicken. Y'all just gotta cut it out!

I'm so very glad someone changed the title to indicate Popeye's. I was beginning to wonder about my medications because I know we aren't allowed to talk about religions.

We only have the KFC and Bojangles' here.

With love,
~Cat

Not to turn anybody off but as I was searching through to find a few copycat recipes for my dinner tonight, I came across this PDF file of Popeye's ingredient list.I see quite of bit of additives . .http://www.dfwairport.com/apps/cmawjhat/pdf/Popeyes%20ingredients.pdf
What I can see is onion powder, garlic powder, salt, tumeric , pepper. White floure. They use baking powder as a levening agent. I guess it reacts with the powdered egg and moilsture.

Last edited:
Katie, thanks for putting it back. I was about to ask about it.

For the record. I also enjoy KFC's extra crispy fried chicken. Their sides - not so much. The addition of the spicy option at Popeyes and the great sides makes the difference.

BTW, their Cajun fries are also quite good. Tasty and crisp. SO had popcorn shrimp which she liked.

I eat KFC once every 8 years or so and coincidentally had one piece last night ( have been staying at my inlaws who like it). Sorry but it was disappointing.

My first job at 14 was washing dishes at KFC and the chicken was much more flavorful then. Plus the chicken itself tasted better. They got deliveries of whole chickens every day and broke them down by hand.

We drove right past a brand new Popeyes on the way to KFC. :-(

Popeyes is really good and the sides are also really good. Pretty much the only time I eat fried chicken is when I take Popeyes into Fenway Park for baseball game eats. There's a Popeyes just steps from the park -- the source of the chicken in the infamous "chicken and beer" incident.

I'm glad they don't have more convenient outlets around. Them and Shake Shack. I'd be there too often.

:LOL:
Now there's a Red Sox fan when she knows where the players get their clubhouse chicken from :ROFLMAO:

Okay, ladies and gents. Here's a perfect example as to why my family, many of my friends and I call the joint "Pope Yes."

images

I've found with both KFC and Popeyes that the quality varies noticeably from location to location. I pass on the closest KFC to go the another 10 minutes away because of quality differences.

I've found with both KFC and Popeyes that the quality varies noticeably from location to location. I pass on the closest KFC to go the another 10 minutes away because of quality differences.

So true.
Just because it's a franchise doesn't mean the food is exactly the same from one to to the next. I agree.
There are many business' I avoid because another does better work or provides a better product.
Want a stale bread Subway, get one in my town

Not to turn anybody off but as I was searching through to find a few copycat recipes for my dinner tonight, I came across this PDF file of Popeye's ingredient list.I see quite of bit of additives . .http://www.dfwairport.com/apps/cmawjhat/pdf/Popeyes%20ingredients.pdf
What I can see is onion powder, garlic powder, salt, tumeric , pepper. White floure. They use baking powder as a levening agent. I guess it reacts with the powdered egg and moilsture.

Thanks for the heads up Roch. They fry everything in soy oil, which I'm not supposed to have. I can quit lusting after Popeyes.

Okay, ladies and gents. Here's a perfect example as to why my family, many of my friends and I call the joint "Pope Yes."

images

LOL I never noticed that. I will have to check out the sign on our new Popeye's nearby. I really have no interest in fried chicken. It's roasted all the way for me.

Did anyone ever go to a Kenny Rogers Chicken place? We had one nearby years ago and we loved it. Apparently the rest of the neighborhood didn't and they closed. It was cooked on a rotisserie over a wood fire.

As Andy and others mentioned, there is a huge difference in quality from location to location. I love Popeyes' spicy chicken and the red beans and rice. At KFC, I really like their grillled chicken. My one and only experience with Bojangles was not good. Church's is okay in a pinch.

Back
Top Bottom