Popover FAIL!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrittanyW

Assistant Cook
I've made 4 batches this morning and I CANT get it! I read all the tips and advice i found on another thread, but I just cant get it to work. Here are the list of things I think might be making me fail.

I am using whole milk, but it was frozen.
I'm using "i cant believe its not butter."
and i think thats it.

My recipe is:
1C milk (room temp)
1C all purp
1t salt
3 eggs (room temp)
2T melted butter

Coat pan cups in butter, fill 1/2 way with batter, filling every other cup.
bake @ 420 no peeking for 25 min. remove from oven....HORRIBLE FLAT CUPS WITH BIG STUPID HOLES IN THE MIDDLE AHHH!!!!:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Welcome to DC Brittnany...

Did you get your popover pan screaming hot before you put the batter in??? That makes all the difference in the world, it starts off the rise... I've never used butter, just the fat from the beef, but your recipe is similiar and i've never had a problem... Don't give up this could be your signature dish once you perfect it... :):):)

use real butter, fake butters have gelatin in them to make them less fat and that doesn't work for baking.

pan screaming hot as said above

all ingredients room temp and after you beat the batter, let it rest 15-20 min before you pour in the pan and bake.

Like Mimi, I've only done them with fat from the roast beef, but I think that bacon grease would be a better choice than butter. The butter would burn before it was hot enough, and yes, the fat and the pan has to be screaming hot.
At any rate, you'd only have to fry up some bacon instead of roasting a roast. ;)
Cheering you on!!

...so does lard with just a touch of beef broth.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Thank you for all the wonderful advice. The only thing is, I'm making my popovers with butter and honey and powered sugar, so the beef fat would not taste very good with that. lol However I will use all these new tips this weekend and see if i cant get these damned things to pop!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom