Pork Chop help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amos07

Assistant Cook
Hello all!
I have a conundrum. I have made these crock pot pork chops and they are well... blah.

2 lb boneless pork loin chops
8 Oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 Medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

I've added a can of rotel and some red pepper flakes and a touch more garlic than suggested, but I'm not loving the results. They still have about 3 hours until they're finished and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can possibly add?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that the long cooking in cp seems to really weakens the spices..

for that amount of meat and sauce, I would try another 1/2 tsp of both oregano and basil. If the chops aren't so great, at least you have good sauce for pasta!

Eric, Austin Tx.

if you have some chorizo, pepperoni, or even bacon, brown some slices of any of these (i've made something like this with chorizo before) and add to to the cp.

I wonder if sauerkraut, either sweet Bavarian or regular, might help. It may sound strange, but I find kraut works well in a meatball recipe I make that has tomato sauce, and kraut is a favorite in one of my regular pork chop recipes.

Last edited:
Hello all!
I have a conundrum. I have made these crock pot pork chops and they are well... blah.

2 lb boneless pork loin chops
8 Oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 Medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

I've added a can of rotel and some red pepper flakes and a touch more garlic than suggested, but I'm not loving the results. They still have about 3 hours until they're finished and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can possibly add?
Thanks!

So this is a recipe you are following that you have tasted, not liked, added other ingredients to, and yet it still has three more hours until finished?
Or one you have made before and not liked, so you made it again and added other ingredients to?

First of all you probably needs more salt. Add more or add some soy sauce.

Second of all, brown the chops before they go in.

Third of all, maybe some wine or chicken stock.

But I agree that a lot of long-cooked crockpot dishes are very blah at the end.

First of all you probably needs more salt. Add more or add some soy sauce.

Second of all, brown the chops before they go in.

Third of all, maybe some wine or chicken stock.

But I agree that a lot of long-cooked crockpot dishes are very blah at the end.
Yeah that's what I was going to suggest. There are a LOT of flavors competing as it is and CPs aren't really renowned for producing 'nuanced' flavor profiles at the best of times. Just have the salt and pepper handy when you are serving. "I'm not sure how much seasoning you all like so I thought it best for you to do your own seasoning". Also a nice dollop of clarified butter on top of each serving hiding under that chopped italian parsley you put on top is a nice touch.

Back
Top Bottom