Pork Chop Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uey2

Assistant Cook
I am tired of Chicken, Beef and Fish. I want to make pork chops but I never make them because they tend to be awfully dry. Anyone have a good recipe for cooking them in an electric roaster or a slow cooker?

it's all about not over-cooking pork chops. that's it, that's all, that's the whole secret.

for the last thousand years the USDA insisted pork had to be cooked to ashes to be 'safe' - just recently the recommendation has been reduced to 145'F internal temp.

I buy both the thin and the thick.

those thin ones take 2-3 minutes per side to saute, absolutely no more. allow to rest 5 minutes or so.

when I want really good stuff I get the butcher to lop me off one inch+ thick, bone in pork chops.
when I'm feeling especially hungry I go with 2" inch thick - but that's really a bit overboard.

here's one of our favorite pork chop dishes - it's oven done but you could easily do it in a slow cooker if it has a removable insert.... it's a _two_ day dish - don't skimp the overnight bit.

Smothered Pork Chops in Sauerkraut

pan fry bacon slices crisp/ blot dry, crumble slightly - allow two slices per chop
saute a batch of onion or leeks and rough chopped mushroom until soft & cooked through - what you can get fresh - cremini / button / whatever - or a mix of mushrooms.

salt/pepper the pork chop - allow to 'stand' about an hour
fire up a heavy pan to frightfully blazing hot - add thin layer of oil for browning the chops - each side - perhaps 3-4 minutes per side - color is good.

drain the sauerkraut - squeeze out all the juice you can.
combine the bacon/onion/mushrooms

layer: sauerkraut /pork chop + bacon/onion/mushroom mix on top of each chop
top layer should be sauerkraut.

for extra special - thinly slice red apples - one apple per two pork chops - mix with sauerkraut before layering. the apple tones down the sauerkraut tartness.

when everything is in the pot, pour in 12 ounces of beer. cover.

I bake that 2 hrs at 275'F in the oven; remove; cool;refrigerate overnight.

next day for service, reheat, covered - I figure an hour at 300'F

==============
for thick cut bone in pan fried -
season to your preferences - and allow to stand for 1-2 hours.
heat up the pan plenty hot - sear for color & caramel
remove chops
let pan cool down
put chops back in and cook for another 10 minutes - no more - stick a fork in it - when the centers are no longer soft&gooey, it's done. don't over-cook - the the fork felt centers go past minor resistance you're in for chewy chops.

Marinade pork chops in ground ginger, crushed pineapple with juice, brown sugar and soy sauce.

Saute pork chops quickly and add some cornstarch to the marinade and reduce for a delicious glaze.

I am tired of Chicken, Beef and Fish. I want to make pork chops but I never make them because they tend to be awfully dry. Anyone have a good recipe for cooking them in an electric roaster or a slow cooker?

My slow cooker recipie for pork chops is simple and they turn out very moist and fall off the bone tender. I do use thick cut chops for this.

Season the chops with seasoned salt, pepper. Brown in skillet with 2 Tbsp butter. In the same skillet, brown thinly sliced onions, 2-3 depending on how much you like, you can use mushrooms too.

To one can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, add 1/2 can water, 1/2 can milk, whisk until smooth.

Cover bottom of the crock with some mushroom soup, then layer chops, then onions, soup, chops, onions, etc. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs.

This works great for pork loin too.

Enjoy.:chef:

grind some black peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, and allspice berries, mix with kosher or sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.

rub onto chops, let marinate in the rub for a few hours, then grill just a coupla minutes on each side.

Last edited:
most recently I put those really fat boneless pork chop ribs, are they called country ribs [?] anyway, in the crocker and used Lipton onion soup mix with sesame oil, ginger, OJ concentrate, and lots of ground confetti peppercorns. the meal was not dry and very flavorful

bucky, check your pm's

Last edited:
This is a recipe for pork chops that I've made for over 30 years. I think it was originally published in Chatelaine, but I've changed the original recipe:

Skillet pork chops

4 chops--I've used all cuts
1 T olive oil (or another oil, or bacon fat)
4-5 large, ripe Brandywine tomatoes (or another beef steak tomato)
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 T fresh sage (chopped) or 1 tsp ground dry sage
1 tsp maple syrup (or brown sugar)

1. Heat oil in a CI skillet. Add chops, brown on each side (1-2 minutes)
2. While the chops are browning, coarsely chop the tomatoes.
3. Drain fat from the pan, add 1/2 of the tomatoes and all of the garlic.
4. Grind pepper on top.
5. Add sage and maple syrup.
6. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes (stir frequently and turn the chops).
7. When chops are tender, remove from the pan. Add remaining tomatoes to sauce and heat through.
8. Serve the chops topped with sauce and some fresh sage.

Kids love this mine ask for it often.
Brown 8- 3/4 inch chops in a greased skillet over med heat. Arrange chops on a shallow 2 qt. baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup apple juice over chops and sprinkle with 1/2 cup gloden raisins and 1 tea. salt. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 min. Turn chops combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tea. ground nutmeg and 1/4 tea. ground cinnamon pile wedges around chops and . and coat 3 large apples cut into wedges with a mix of sugar,nutmeg and cinnamon pour 1/2 cup water over all. Cover and additional 15 min.
Enjoy
kades

Plain. Grilled in oil with some Montreal Steak spice, then topped with a little bleu cheese dressing, ranch dressing, or tzatziki. Done.

I used to make a recipe at one of the places I worked at. which was seasoned chops fried and served with a brown sauce with garlic, onions and chopped dill pickles. It was quite nice, actually.

grind some black peppercorns, bay leaves, cloves, and allspice berries, mix with kosher or sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.

rub onto chops, let marinate in the rub for a few hours, then grill just a coupla minutes on each side.

That sounds great bucky! I think I'll be trying that :) I always remove the fat and make my crackling separately, then grill my chops till just cooked so the moisture stays put!

Do you love coconut Shrimp, or coconut chicken? The same coating can be used with pork as well. I'll give you a couple of coating recipes for baked pork chops that come out very juicy.

Common to all recipes - egg wash: Combine one or two large eggs with 1/4 cup milk. Whisk until smooth.

Seasoned flour - 1 cup all purpose flour with 1 tsp. salt.

Bread Crumbs - make fresh by rubbing two slices of your favorite bread together over a bowl, or use panko, or regular store bought bread crumbs.

Ok. Here are the coatings:

Coconut pork chops:
Combine panko bread crumbs and coconut together in the ratio 2 parts bread crumbs to 1 part coconut - example: 1 cup breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup shredded coconut. Dredge the pork chops through the egg wash, then into the flour. Tap the chops to shake off excess flour. Dip in egg wash again, and then into the bread crumb/coconut mixture. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes at 370 degrees.

Sage Pork Chops:
Ingredients:
1 cup AP Flour
2 tsp. rubbed Sage
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
Egg Wash
1 cup Bread Crumbs

Combine the flour, sage, salt, and black pepper in a large, wide bowl.
Dip pork chops in egg wash, then flour, shake off excess flour, back in egg wash, then in bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 370 F. for 40 minutes.

Slow Burn Pork Chops:
Ingredients:
Egg Wash
1 cup AP Flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. granulated onion powder
3 tbs. Sriracha Pepper Sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1/4 cup water

Combine pepper sauce, Tabasco, water, garlic and onion powder in a marinading bowl. Add chops. Stir to coat the chops. Cover and let sit in fridge for two hours.
Add salt to flour and stir to combine. Remove chops from the marinade, dredge in egg wash and flour. Shake off excess flour. Lightly fry chops in hot oil until flour just begins to brown. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes in 350 F. oven.

Plain, Breaded Pork Chops:
Ingredients:
1 cup flour
salt
1 cup bread crumbs
egg wash

Dip chops in egg wash, then flour . Knock off extra flour and dip in egg wash again. Dip in bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet and lightly salt. Bake at 370 for 40 minutes.

Hope this gives you some inspiration.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sweet Potato and Pork Chops Bake

4 pork chops (boneless, bone in, thick cut, basically anything but thin cut)
1 large sweet potato or 2 small to medium sweet potatoes
1 onion
chopped walnuts
dried cranberries
1 semi-sweet apple with a relatively firm texture (our favorite is braeburn (sp?))
applesauce
ground ginger
granulated garlic
black pepper
cinnamon
ground cloves

Sprinkle pork chops with a little garlic, cinnamon and black pepper. Put about a tblsp of applesauce on one side and stab in really well. Flip over, sprinkle with garlic, cinnamon and black pepper, spoon on more applesauce and stab in really well. Set aside.

Slice sweet potatoes into rounds. I don't bother to peel them because the hubby and I don't mind the peelings but you can if you prefer. If you don't peel them be sure to wash them really well. Slice onion into rings. Brush the bottom of a square or round, deep sided baking dish with a little cooking oil. Sorry, I don't know the size but it should be just big enough to fit the four pork chops. Layer the sweet potato slices in the dish. You should have enough for one or two good layers of potatoes. Don't go past two layers or you'll have trouble fitting the rest of the stuff in the dish and by the time the potatoes are done the pork chops will be overdone.

Sprinkle in some dried cranberries and chopped walnuts. You want just enough to sort of fill in the cracks. Sprinkle with ginger and garlic. You want just enough of each to give the tops of the sweet potatoes a light dusting.

Layer the rings of onion over that. Place the pork chops on top of that. Slice the apple into rings and layer over the pork chops. I don't peel the apple but you can if you want. Sprinkle with ginger, cinnamon and cloves, again just enough for a light dusting.

Cover with a lid or foil and bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender (I always leave just enough of a hole in one corner of the apple layer to be able to slide a fork down to test this).

Sorry I don't have exact measurements. I haven't figured them out yet for this recipe.

Last edited:
it's all about not over-cooking pork chops. that's it, that's all, that's the whole secret.

for the last thousand years the USDA insisted pork had to be cooked to ashes to be 'safe' - just recently the recommendation has been reduced to 145'F internal temp.

I buy both the thin and the thick.

those thin ones take 2-3 minutes per side to saute, absolutely no more. allow to rest 5 minutes or so.

So it's just like baking a steak then?

I too find they can be dry.

I like to use a large cooking apple peeled and cored, halve it horizontally and place each half on 2 seasoned chops (preferably with the bones removed). I then fill the cored holes with a sage and onion stuffing mix, wrap individually in aluminium foil and roast on a medium heat for approx 30-35mins. They come out moist and delicious with their own sauce!

oh baby. goodweed, i have to try those coconut chops!

snip, let me know if you like the rub. after grillng, i like to serve the chops with pickled hot banana pepper rings, and a splask of the brine.

I too find they can be dry.

I like to use a large cooking apple peeled and cored, halve it horizontally and place each half on 2 seasoned chops (preferably with the bones removed). I then fill the cored holes with a sage and onion stuffing mix, wrap individually in aluminium foil and roast on a medium heat for approx 30-35mins. They come out moist and delicious with their own sauce!

Sounds delicious with apple, I'll try this..!

:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom