Pork gravy from scratch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liz Brooks

Assistant Cook
Can you make pork gravy from the drippings in the pan like you can with chicken? Same old rules or different ones? And maybe flavor with sage? What do you guys think?

sure can. I deglaze with a bit of dry white wine, reduce, add flour and cook a bit, add broth (usually chicken) either thyme or sage, wisk while it thickens. It's delish and always gets compliments.

You could just as easily do a white gravy from the drippings...flour, milk, pepper, sage if you like.

If you are doing pork with apples, try with cider instead of wine, or Calvodos (the apple brandy of France)

For ultra smooth gravy, deglaze the pan with whatever liquid you like, and poor off into a separate container. Add about three tbs. butter, and heat until melted. Follow with three tbs. flour and sir until a paste forms. Brown the flour lightly and whiskthe liquid back into the pan. Season to taste with salt, coarse grind pepper, sage, onion, and garlic. If the gravy is too bland (not enough pork flavor), you can add pork or chicken soup base (a little at a time) for more flavor.

I feel an open-faced hot pork sandwhich coming on. Oh, I'm out of pork.:(
Well, I know where the supermarket is.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yes, you can, & it's yummy! my dad overcooks his pork, though the gravy over potatoes is fantastic! :)
my Dad deglazes, uses whitewash to thicken & loads of pepper!

For ultra smooth gravy, deglaze the pan with whatever liquid you like, and poor off into a separate container. Add about three tbs. butter, and heat until melted. Follow with three tbs. flour and sir until a paste forms. Brown the flour lightly and whiskthe liquid back into the pan. Season to taste with salt, coarse grind pepper, sage, onion, and garlic. If the gravy is too bland (not enough pork flavor), you can add pork or chicken soup base (a little at a time) for more flavor.

I feel an open-faced hot pork sandwhich coming on. Oh, I'm out of pork.:(
Well, I know where the supermarket is.:)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
img_830201_0_fa7a71e82bf462f15709a8c77fcd9c21.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom