Pork Loin Expiration Date

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nevek46

Assistant Cook
I have a pork loin that I did not realize has a sell-by date of 01/12/11. It was in a cryo-vac type of package and has been in the fridge (not freezer.) I could not tell if it smelled rancid or had become slimy, because it has a garlic & parmesan coating/marinade.

I currently have it in the crockpot on high. Do you think it would be safe to continue & cook it all the way thru or should I just throw it out since it's 11 days past sell-by (not use-by) date? Does it matter that it was in a vacuum-type packaging?

Thanks!

I agree with Kayelle. There is a reason that an expiration date shows up on a package. I always taught my nursing students that there is NO GRACE PERIOD on expiration dates. It may look good, but could harbor bacteria that would make you sick. Had it been frozen - that might be different. (I am the DC bacteria fanatic, by the way. ;)

Hmm. Does this only apply to meats and other certain things? I just finished a carton of eggs that had an exp date of November and it was still fine.

Meat, eggs, other dairy....I would not gamble on those. Things like rice (I have a thread about that going...) and such I would not worry unless it smelled differently than it should.

Hmm. Does this only apply to meats and other certain things? I just finished a carton of eggs that had an exp date of November and it was still fine.

Eggs kept in a carton last longer than eggs kept out in a refrgerator "egg holder". The shells, being porus, absorb odors and other things if kept uncovered in the fridge. Personally, I would have tossed them - but that's me.

Eggs kept in a carton last longer than eggs kept out in a refrgerator "egg holder". The shells, being porus, absorb odors and other things if kept uncovered in the fridge. Personally, I would have tossed them - but that's me.

If you hold out a brand new carton of milk and ask me if it smells bad...it smells bad. Once the idea is planted in my head...I WILL smell bad milk.:LOL:

If I even think the eggs might be past...I just toss them.

It's too bad you already started cooking it. It might make an interesting phone call to the packager of the meat. I'd ask how far past the sell by date they expect their meats to last before being cooked. It might even tell you on their website, if they have a website.
It'd be a different story if the date was a use by date. In that case I wouldn't have bothered even opening it up. blech.

...of course the pre-flavored ones are probably so full of preservatives, etc. that it might just last until next Christmas!!:ROFLMAO:

Cool then my eggs were fine.

Since we are on the topic, I'm sure my chicken breasts are fine but I bought them yesterday, used two and put the rest in the fridge in the original packaging planning on wrapping and freezing them later. I didn't do it until the next morning and the tops of the surfaces were dry but the rest of them were still moist.

The chicken should be fine, right?

I agree to throw out the meat. It just isn't worth the food poisining. :shock: With eggs however, you can put an egg in water. If it floats, throw it out. If it sinks, crack and smell. A rotton egg is very smelly. This info. from my grandma years ago, and I haven't gotten sick on eggs that are beyond the date yet.

Since we're on the subject yet again, I never ever buy meat that has been marinated. Years ago, I heard that some markets repackage meat that's about to go bad in marinade to mask the "off" flavor, and change the "sell by" date. Believe it or not, it's your choice, but it made up my mind for me. Besides there's such a thing as "over marinating" and I want the control over the amount of time it marinates in my own kitchen, with my fresh meat.

Since we're on the subject yet again, I never ever buy meat that has been marinated. Years ago, I heard that some markets repackage meat that's about to go bad in marinade to mask the "off" flavor, and change the "sell by" date. Believe it or not, it's your choice, but it made up my mind for me. Besides there's such a thing as "over marinating" and I want the control over the amount of time it marinates in my own kitchen, with my fresh meat.

I share your viewpoint.

Plus, I can't really imagine what cryovacced meat soaking in garlic marinade for, at this point 2 or 3 weeks would taste like.

I don't buy marinated meat simply because it is so easy and fun to do myself. BUT I am thinking of making an exception for "barbecue" ribs this winter. Cooking out at -0 temps just isn't an option for us. Heck, I go out in it most days and just hate the on and off of all the gear. A friend bought them at our local grocery store last year and brought them to a party and they were pretty good, I was surprised. I've never tried to make ribs of any kind in the house, and if the store still carries them I might try.

By the way, I weigh in with the if in doubt, throw it out group.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom