Portable Picnic/Take-Along Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Anyone have any recipes for picnics/beach/outdoor take-along foods? Here are a few that made me drool. Nice idea re packing the food in Chinese Take-out containers for your picnic fare/guests.

Pasta, Pesto, and Peas
(Portable Picnic Food)
Copyright, 2001, Ina Garten, All rights reserved
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cook Time: 12 minutes
Yield: 12 servings

3/4 pound fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 1/2 cups pesto, packaged or see recipe below
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups good mayonnaise
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
1/3 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cook the fusilli and bow ties separately in a large pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 12 minutes until each pasta is al dente. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto, spinach, and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignolis, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

Pesto:
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (9 cloves)
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups good olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Place the walnuts, pignolis, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for 15 seconds. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute. Use right away or store the pesto in the refrigerator or freezer with a thin film of olive oil on top. Notes: Air is the enemy of pesto. For freezing, pack it in containers with a film of oil or plastic wrap directly on top with the air pressed out.

To clean basil, remove the leaves, swirl them in a bowl of water, and then spin them very dry in a salad spinner. Store them in a closed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. As long as the leaves are dry they will stay green for several days. Yield: 4 cups
----------
Tomato Feta Salad - (Portable Picnic)
Recipe by Ina Garten
Prep Time: 15 minutes Yield: 8 servings

3 pints (6 cups) cherry tomatoes
3/4 pound good feta cheese (Or - I think diced mozzarella would be great too)
1 small red onion, chopped
3 tablespoons white wine or Champagne vinegar
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them in a large bowl. Dice the feta in 1/4-inch dice, crumbling it as little as possible. Add the feta to the tomatoes and then add the onion, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, basil, and parsley. Toss carefully and salt, to taste, depending on the saltiness of the feta. Serve chilled
----------
Shrimp Salad - Portable Picnic
Copyright, 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All rights reserved
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Yield: 12 servings
(Pack in Chinese take-out containers for each guest)

3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 lemon cut into quarters
4 pounds large shrimp in the shell (16 to 20 shrimp per pound)
2 cups good mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons white wine or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons minced fresh dill
1 cup minced red onion (1 onion)
3 cups minced celery (6 stalks)

Bring 5 quarts of water, 3 tablespoons salt, and the lemon to a boil in a large saucepan. Add half the shrimp and reduce the heat to medium. Cook uncovered for only 3 minutes or until the shrimp are barely cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water. Bring the water back to a boil and repeat with the remaining shrimp. Let cool; then peel, and devein the shrimp.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, wine or vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and dill. Combine with the peeled shrimp. Add the red onion and celery and check the seasonings. Serve or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
----------
Lemon Cake - Portable Picnic
Copyright, 2001, Barefoot Contessa Parties!, All rights reserved
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour Yield: 2 (8-inch) loaves

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the glaze:
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans. You may also line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.
Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan; spoon the lemon syrup over them. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

I got this recipe from the FoodNetwork. It was easy to pack and everyone loved it.

Portable Hiking Sandwich

1 round loaf country-style crusty bread (about 1 pound)
1/2 cup pesto sauce (purchased or homemade)
1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, top-quality ham, or smoked turkey
1/2 pound thinly sliced Parrano cheese, Monterey Jack, or provolone
2 large red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and cut into wide strips; or 1 jar roasted
red bell peppers
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced

Place the loaf of bread on a board and with a sharp knife, cut a large circle in the top of the bread, about 1-inch in from the edge, creating a “lid”. Remove lid and pull out insides of bread from both base and lid, creating a bread “shell”. (Reserve pulled-out bread for breadcrumbs or to feed the birds!). Spread about 2/3 of the pesto sauce over the inside of the bread base, covering as evenly as possible. Spread the remaining pesto on the underside of the bread lid. Layer 1/3 of the sliced meat in the bottom of the bread base, tucking it into the sides. Top with 1/2 of the sliced cheese, then 1/2 of the peppers, then half the tomato slices. Repeat layers, ending with the final 1/3 of the meat on top. Be sure to tuck meat, cheese, and vegetables into the sides of the bread base as well as in the center.

Replace the bread lid so it lines up with the cut marks. Wrap the sandwich in plastic or a bandana, sealing tightly so it holds together. To serve, cut the sandwich into 4 wedges with a sharp knife.

these are good

Mish,
You're right these are so good..I made them all except the tomato feta salad for a baby shower...Each was a delight. I've tucked away the take out cartons for future use...Thanks for posting..I have the CB these are in, :ermm: but, didn't think of posting.
kadesma...thanks again

Roast beef roll ups

1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup salad dressing
1/4 cup salsa
10 flour tortillas
1 lb thin slice cooked roast beef
10 large lettuce leafs
Combine sour cream ,salad dressing, and salsa, spread over tortillas, top with roast beef and letuce. Roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks and cut in half serve with addtional salsa if wanted.

Three Californians here, hee, hee. Now, we know how to enjoy the great outdoors & bring our food with us :)

Sierra, lucky you, Northern Ca. I miss Kings Canyon, Yosemite, & looking for all the waterfalls in san gabriel mountains, & all the breathtaking terraine. Funny how food makes you want to pack up the cooler, get in the car & explore nature.

There used to be a great camping spot (I know this is about bringing picnic food - but) in Laguna Beach (?)...if I recall, you put the tent down, & if you get a good spot, walk over a log, & the beach is right there too. Ahhh, California. :)

Can't lie on rough terrain too easily anymore, prefer a hotel. So, picnics on the beach or a day trip to the mountains are heaven.

mish said:
Three Californians here, hee, hee. Now, we know how to enjoy the great outdoors & bring our food with us :)

Sierra, lucky you, Northern Ca. I miss Kings Canyon, Yosemite, & looking for all the waterfalls in san gabriel mountains, & all the breathtaking terraine. Funny how food makes you want to pack up the cooler, get in the car & explore nature.
Mish,
I'm about 1-2 hrs from Yosemite...We use to go often, but now spend most Sundays at home, as the kids have chosen us as their favorite restaurant:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ...But in spring and summer, we eat outside by the pool every sunday..Sierra's recipe is one I'm going to try for sure... And yes it's nice to share recipes for outdoors here in CA..
kadesma:)

SierraCook said:
I do consider myself lucky. All I have to do is practically fall out the back door and have places to hike, camp, and enjoy the outdoors. Then when I want a change it is off to the ocean for vacation. :)
Sierra,
yummy recipe...Thanks for posting...I'm always looking for foods we can take outside or with us if we go for a ride in the motorhome.. Thanks again, your recipe is on my list.:)
kadesma

beaulana2 said:
Roast beef roll ups

1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup salad dressing
1/4 cup salsa
10 flour tortillas
1 lb thin slice cooked roast beef
10 large lettuce leafs
Combine sour cream ,salad dressing, and salsa, spread over tortillas, top with roast beef and letuce. Roll up tightly and secure with toothpicks and cut in half serve with addtional salsa if wanted.
Emm, these sound good beaulana. Thanks for posting.

Rainee said:
How will these dishes be transported and handled?

I kept mine in one of those small flexible coolers with 2-3 ice packs.

Rainee, if you are suggesting that it is important to keep foods cold to prevent food poisoning, you are absolutely correct. It shocks me all the time how my coworkers will pack food items, that should be kept cold, in their lunchboxes without any way to keep them cold. Then they think it nothing to put their lunchboxes in the back of their trucks where they sit in the hot sun until lunch.:(

Yes, just a reminder to not forget about good food safety nad handling.

Here's a pretty good link re safety.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/foodsci/ext/pubs/picnic.html

Rainee, I wondered too about how to pack the Chinese Food take-out containers in a cooler - ice on top?

Kadesma (giggling here), did you wash them out & save them? Lucky you, too, living close to Yosemite. Beware of the bears :ohmy: We'd have to lock all the food up in steel containers & roll up the car windows. (The old bf kept walking around trying to find one :ohmy: :ohmy: ).

Kadesma, if you ever have a chance to stay at the Wawona, it's very romantic, but not for everyone. The deer practically walk right past you.

These recipes do look great. Spring is in the air & can't wait to try them.

I take fresh salads, cold salmon fillets and something more substantial like a raised pork pie and scotch eggs.

Here's a recipe from a British chef, Rick Stein, for a classic Raised Pork Pie

For the fillings:
1.2kg/2 2.5 lb boned pork shoulder
225g/8oz lean bacon
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2.5ml/½ tsp each ground mace, freshly grated nutmeg and ground allspice
2 tsp anchovy essence
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the jelly:
900g/2lb pork bones
1 pig's trotter
1 carrot
1 onion
1 bouquet garni (celery, bay leaf, thyme and parsley)
12 black peppercorns
4 cloves
For the pastry:
450g/1lb plain flour
1 tsp salt
275g/10oz chilled butter, cut into
pieces
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
2-3 tbsp cold water

1. For the jelly: put all the ingredients into a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours.
2.Strain through a very fine sieve into a clean pan and boil vigorously until reduced to 600ml/1 pint. Season to taste and leave to cool.
3. To make the filling: cut the pork and bacon into 1cm/½ in pieces. Put half of the pork and 55g/2oz of the bacon into a food processor and process using the pulse button until coarsely chopped.
4. Scrape into a bowl and stir in the rest of the diced pork, bacon herbs, spices, anchovy essence, 1 tsp salt and some pepper.
5. Fry a little piece of the mixture in sunflower oil, taste and adjust the flavourings if necessary.
6. To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a food processor or mixing bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
7. Beat the whole egg with the egg yolk and water and gradually stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough. Knead briefly until smooth then cut off one third of the mixture and set it aside for the lid.
8. Roll out the larger piece and use to line the base and sides of a 20cm/8in clip-sided cake tin, leaving the excess pastry overhanging the edges.
9. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
10. To assemble the pie:spoon the pork filling into the tin and slightly round the top of the mixture to give the finished pie a nice shape.
11. Brush the edge of the pastry with beaten egg. Roll out the remaining pastry and use to cover the top of the pie.
12. Cut a small hole into the centre of the lid with a small pastry cutter, remove the plug of pastry and leave the cutter in place to retain the hole during baking.
13. Brush with more beaten egg and decorate with a twisted rope of pastry and pastry leaves. Brush the top with beaten egg.
14. Bake the pie for 30 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and continue to cook for a further 1½ hours, loosely covering the pie with a triple-thickness sheet of greaseproof paper once it is nicely browned.
15. Finally, remove the pie from the oven and leave to cool for 2 hours. Then warm through the jelly and pour into the pie through the hole in the top. Remove cutter used to make the hole in the top. Leave to go cold overnight.

You would probably be ok to put ice in the cooler, line with some plastic, newspaper, to keep the water out of the containers.

mish said:

Rainee, I wondered too about how to pack the Chinese Food take-out containers in a cooler - ice on top?

Kadesma (giggling here), did you wash them out & save them? Lucky you, too, living close to Yosemite. Beware of the bears :ohmy: We'd have to lock all the food up in steel containers & roll up the car windows. (The old bf kept walking around trying to find one :ohmy: :ohmy: ).

Kadesma, if you ever have a chance to stay at the Wawona, it's very romantic, but not for everyone. The deer practically walk right past you.

On the Chinese containers, I haven;t used them yet, just tucked the idea away for another day.. Most of the time we just put things in the fridg of the motor home to keep cool. If going by car we have several large ice chests, we pack with ice..If I were to use the
Chinese container, I'd only use it for a "different" party idea, If i had to pack to keep cold, I'd most likely put them into a container that would keep out water, then nestle them down into the ice.

mish said:

Mish, we stayed up at White Wolf in a trailer :LOL: It was heaven. The kids lived the campfire and sing along. But, we haven't done that in a long time now. Our trips usually have all the kids and grandkids, and us packed into the motor home WaHooo:cool:
kadesma
ps. evertaken the tour accross one of the meadows, it's fantastic:)

It's been eons since I was there, so can't recall the places you mentioned. Googled it, & sounds charming. Travelling in the motor home with the kids & grandkids sounds like fun...& if you have a close encounter with the bears, you can hit the gas & get outta Dodge. :LOL: Someday I hope to see Yosemite again. Although, I'm getting much more fond of "my" creature comforts.

Back
Top Bottom