Pot Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barrelbyr

Assistant Cook
I am going to be cooking Cioppino for about 40 people. Im going to be making the sauce a few days ahead, and then have the guests each bring their favorite seafood to add. Im not sure how much sauce to make and what size stockpot I am going to need. Im thinking a 40 qt stockpot and having it half full of the stock and leaving the rest for room for the seafood. I am just guessing. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I am going to be doing this outside on a gas burner (turkey fryer type) any suggestions on how many BTU burner I need?

A 40 qt. stockpot will give you 1 qt. of broth per person, counting the seafood. That's a lot. People will generally eat about 2 cups of cioppino so you could cut that 40 qts. by half and have plenty. I'm assuming there will be other food to serve. I have some problems with people bringing their own seafood to add. Seafood stew is an iffy thing to deal with given the problems that can result if the seafood wasn't handled properly. I worry about these things, since other people will be contributing the seafood. I make a lot of cioppino, I love it and this sounds like a great party. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom