Potato cheese bake/ when to add the bread crumbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
A few weeks ago I made a potato - cheese bake, basically layers of sliced potatoes/cheese/ potatoes/ cheese .....

It came out very good, but this time I was thinking of adding a layer of bread crumbs on top to give a little extra crisp.

The recipe calls for it to bake for an hour + at about 325 F.

My question is, should I add the bread crumbs on top from the beginning ?? or should I add them the last few minutes, and kinda boost the heat or broil for a min or two ( closely watching, of course ))

larry

One more thing, I cut up too many potatoes. What is the best way for me to store the cut up potatoes so they dont brown on me ( I will use them either later tonight , or early tomorrow morning.

Hi, Larry. Refrigerate the cut potatoes in a covered container of water to keep them from browning. It's exposure to the oxygen in the air that causes browning.

For the bread crumbs, put them on for the last 15 minutes or so of baking. You don't have to change the temperature or broil them. In fact, broiling makes it much easier to burn them by accident :ohmy:

beautiful, they're in the oven as we speak. I kinda jumped the gun, hoping Id get a quick response, and i did. I guess today is my lucky day.

Also, this is my trial batch. Im making it tomorrow for about 30 people ( relatives .....) so I wanted to see how it comes out first. I wanted to just make one batch, and take a piece out to taste, but my wife yelled at me that i cant bring something to my moms that had already had a piece taken out of it ( i didnt see anything wrong with doing that, but i guess she is the one with the manners)

Thanks for the quick reply

Broiling the bread crumbs is faster, but you'll have to watch them closely. The potatoes will keep nicely submerged in cold water in the fridge. You really don't even need to cover them if you're using them tonight...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom