Potato Guts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Kenny

Senior Cook
So I’m eating like a Bachelor this week as my wife is out of town. No, it’s not because I can’t cook, I do 95% of the cooking in my house. The wife does dishes…and does them like the sweetheart she is, but it’s my lazy splurge to take a break from the cooking I’m usually doing.

I can’t help myself at some points though, which is where the idea of this thread comes from.

I got some takeout fried chicken from a local place here and they give you 2 sides. I chose baked potato for both since I would not be eating this food till later and I am getting plenty of veggies from garden harvesting.

As I was placing the order…the plan was already forming in my head…”potato skins!”. I have to make these for myself because this place don’t sell ‘em.

So that’s what I did and here’s a pic. Yes, I am not a great “plater” so it’s nothing fancy. Not a great pic either but the are in my intestines now so too late for a re-shoot! They are not as burned as they look, they were fantastic...(flavor in the brown, baby!). Also I realize these should have chives or green onions on them. I have chives growing nearly year round…but hey, this is bachelor food…I’m being too lazy to go out and cut some…he, he, but not too lazy to make the skins…I know, stupid, but I am stupid sometimes.

So here’s my request from the community:

What to do with the potato guts I scooped out to make the skins?

My instinct is fried potato cakes…been there, and there’s the old faithful “mashed potatoes”…done that. If you have recipes for either, I welcome them. I may learn something I don’t know.

I’m wondering if you have something “out of the box thinking” to share?????

As an added bonus the meal came with slices of semi-garlicky Texas toast. So coming up with something to use both in one recipe would be even more awesome!

Let ‘er rip folks. School me!

Attachments

• Potato skins.jpg
    Potato skins.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

...What to do with the potato guts I scooped out to make the skins?

My instinct is fried potato cakes…been there, and there’s the old faithful “mashed potatoes”…done that. If you have recipes for either, I welcome them. I may learn something I don’t know.

I’m wondering if you have something “out of the box thinking” to share?????

As an added bonus the meal came with slices of semi-garlicky Texas toast. So coming up with something to use both in one recipe would be even more awesome!

Let ‘er rip folks. School me!

You could make twice baked potatoes. Take the guts and mix with cheese, chives, bacon bits, etc. Restuff the skins, top with cheese and bake to melt the cheese and reheat the filling.

You could make twice baked potatoes. Take the guts and mix with cheese, chives, bacon bits, etc. Restuff the skins, top with cheese and bake to melt the cheese and reheat the filling.

Awesome idea Andy, but as I mentioned, the skins are being digested as I type!

No reason the same idea could not be done in a ramekin though. I've done stuffed twice baked and they are delicious. Almost exactly your recipe suggestion (I wish there was a thumbs up smilie)

I make what we lovingly refer to here as "slop". I usually use packaged mashed potatoes, but your guts would work too.

Nuke some frozen mixed vegetables, mix in your potato guts with a bit of milk, and some Velveeta or other easy melting cheese. Cream cheese would be good too. Nuke some more until cheese is melted, stir. Add some pepper, eat.

Gnocchi with a marinara or brown butter, fresh sage sauce.:yum:

Awesome idea Andy, but as I mentioned, the skins are being digested as I type!

No reason the same idea could not be done in a ramekin though. I've done stuffed twice baked and they are delicious. Almost exactly your recipe suggestion (I wish there was a thumbs up smilie)

Your welcome to keep the idea until the next time.

I make what we lovingly refer to here as "slop". I usually use packaged mashed potatoes, but your guts would work too.

Nuke some frozen mixed vegetables, mix in your potato guts with a bit of milk, and some Velveeta or other easy melting cheese. Cream cheese would be good too. Nuke some more until cheese is melted, stir. Add some pepper, eat.

Sweet...sort of an "everybody in the pool" or even an "everything but the kitchen sink" way of looking at it. I could even use fresh veggies from the garden or any combination of random leftovers.

Since I'm a bachelor (sort of) for a while I should get me some Velveeta. The wife wont touch the stuff...same with Spam...ooh!...Velveeta and Spam...OK, I'm hungry now...

That reminds me, I forgot to harvest green beans the last few days...they're are probably ginormous.

Thanks!

I'm pretty boring I would make a twice baked potato casserole, fry them or make hash with leftover chicken pork, beef, etc...

Chef Munkey, that is a fantastic recipe. It looks similar to a baked Parmesan potatoes recipe I have. I think mine was cubed though and had something other than bread crumbs for the coating.

This is a great wintertime alternative to fries. The hot oven is welcome in winter and these would have a more comforting "eat" than regular fries. All that olive oil does carry a lot of calories but its "good for you oil"...that's my story and I'm sticking with it!:ohmy:

I see in your pic it was served with ketchup. I'll bet a lot of different dips would go well too.

I did see no salt in the recipe. I would instinctively use salt. Do you find the other ingredients add enough salt especially once dipped in ketchup? Are you a "low salt" in the diet person and like a lot of folks got used to eating less salt?

I am just curious about your POV. I am definitely doing this.:mrgreen:

Oh, I also like your directions to remove the garlic from the heat as soon as it begins to caramelize. For years I had been over cooking garlic because of recipes that start with "add garlic and cook for several minutes, then add onions, etc. and cook and cook...". I have been healed and corrected for at least a few years now!

I'm pretty boring I would make a twice baked potato casserole, fry them or make hash with leftover chicken pork, beef, etc...

Thanks Aunt Bea, (never dreamed I would ever say that, I grew up on Andy Griffith!)

That’s not boring, I was throwing a line out there for stuff I may have never thought of.

Your casserole idea ties right in with Andy M’s twice baked potato recipe and my idea for using a ramekin to do that!

And fried…oh man, that’s one of my faves. I almost always do that with leftover potato like this. Mix a little spices and some chives in and form patties and get a good hard sear on both sides, so when you come down on it with a fork the soft inner comes squishing out…that combination of textures is wonderful. Fried in bacon grease would be even more off the charts.

So folks, I’ll be doing something with these potato guts tonight (yes I’m not afraid of days old leftovers in the fridge especially if I’m re-cooking them). My wheels are turning and I have a path. I will share the results soon.

Thanks!

:chef:K

Chef Munkey, that is a fantastic recipe. It looks similar to a baked Parmesan potatoes recipe I have. I think mine was cubed though and had something other than bread crumbs for the coating.

This is a great wintertime alternative to fries. The hot oven is welcome in winter and these would have a more comforting "eat" than regular fries. All that olive oil does carry a lot of calories but its "good for you oil"...that's my story and I'm sticking with it!:ohmy:

I see in your pic it was served with ketchup. I'll bet a lot of different dips would go well too.

I did see no salt in the recipe. I would instinctively use salt. Do you find the other ingredients add enough salt especially once dipped in ketchup? Are you a "low salt" in the diet person and like a lot of folks got used to eating less salt?

I am just curious about your POV. I am definitely doing this.:mrgreen:

Oh, I also like your directions to remove the garlic from the heat as soon as it begins to caramelize. For years I had been over cooking garlic because of recipes that start with "add garlic and cook for several minutes, then add onions, etc. and cook and cook...". I have been healed and corrected for at least a few years now!

Hiya,:)
Glad to see that you might like this as much as my guys do.They ask for it often. "My guys" meaning-My sons" with lead stomachs, hearty appetites.They have no shame.:LOL:

I only tossed in that recipe because your potatoes were already cooked.All you would have to do is wedge,dredge and cook those bad boys.

When I made it that first time I thought the Parmesan would be enough for the salt seasoning (WRONG!) Add some salt.

I've been switching up what types of olive oils I use for these. flavored infused.Lately everyone has just preferred the Garlic or the Tuscan.Use those to coat the potatoes.You would actually be using less oil.Then you wouldn't have to worry about over cooking the garlic.If you want to spray the pan with some Pam then bake that's ok to.

Ketchup at the time was their go to thing.Thankfully they've graduated up to trying other dipping sauces.Now it's Ranch or Ranch with Jalapenos.

Hope this helps.If not I'm usually just hanging around:LOL::ermm:

Awesome Chef Munkey, I really appreciate the recipe and idea. I just got another 2 piece fried chicken from that place and got fries as one and the baked potato as the other side to take home specifically to do this recipe. I'm not crazy about all their sides at this place but it's hard to mess up baking a potato!

Thing is, I really like something like this rather than a baked potato. So these may become a regular in Chef Kenny's lineup...especially in the winter. I tend to deep fry my fries in the summer out in the garage where I have a whole cooking setup with a stainless counter top, deep fryer, 6 burner Viking range top...etc.

I'm only getting these pre-baked potatoes because I'm in bachelor mode. Like I wrote earlier, I do most of the cooking, by choice yes, but when the sweetheart is gone for a while I eat like a typical man living on his own. A lot of takeout and easy pre-prepared stuff with a little "Chef Kenny" mingled in there. I don't treat myself nearly as well as I treat my wife!

I'll be sure to lay in to it with seasoning...I always do:yum: I had a feeling your original thought was that the other ingredients would be salty enough. This is the kind of recipe that's hard to add salt later, but a sprinkle right out of the oven would work...like fries right out of the oil. Problem is by the time you let them cool enough to taste they will repel the salt!

Edit: Thanks for the advice on the garlic too. With a recipe like this I would typically use granulated garlic...I don even have garlic oil, I suppose I could infuse my own...but I already have my mind set on stepping on this with Chef Kenny's home custom blend of Cajun/Creole seasoning. It's a riff and tweak on Emeril's Essence.

Olive oil gives such a nice crunch and flavor to baked things like this.

If you dig this kind of stuff, have you tried "Crash Hot Potatoes?" Better with white or red potatoes but I absolutely love them. Google Rhee Drummond's recipe on that one if it's not already in your repertoire.

To all folks kind enough to indulge me on this exorcise, I WILL be posting my results. I just have to get the time to sort and reduce the pics and get a text/storyline worked up.

Does anyone know if there is a way to post pics as you type along, blog style on this site? The story is told better when the pics follow along with the text rather than jammed at the end. I'm a newbie here so please forgive my ignorance.:unsure:

Last edited:
Just put the pics in as you go, hit end or down arrow till the cursor shows up at the bottom right corner of the picture, hit enter, keep typing.

Two thoughts come to mind, chicken pot pie, Shepherd's Pie, Riced Potatoes

Chicken Pot Pie:
Filling:
1/4 cup Cooked potato guts, cut into small cubes
3 tbs. Sweet Baby Peas
3 tbs. Diced carrot
3 tbs. diced onion
1/4 cup diced chicken meat (left over chicken?)

Crust:
1/2 cup AP Flour
2 tbs. cold butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp, baking powder
1/4 cup milk

Gravy:
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. ground sage
2 dashes granulated garlic
2 dashes granulated onion
1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp. water to make a slurry.

Make the crust by cutting all of the dry ingredients together until you get pea-sized pebbles. Add milk and stir just until everything is wet. Place dough onto a floured surface and roll out, about three times as thick as pie crust. Use a ramekin placed upside down on the rolled dough as a guide to cut circles of dough. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Butter the inside of the ramekin. Place filling ingredients into the ramekin. Place all of the gravy ingredients into a pot, except the slurry. Simmer for seven to ten minutes. Add the slurry and stir until thickened. Remove from the heat. Pour the gravy over the ramekin fillings, but not to the tippy top of the ramekin edge. Place a biscuit round on top. Place in the oven, over a cookie sheet to catch any drips. Bake until the biscuit top is cooked through and lightly browned. Remove and enjoy.

Shepherd's Pie
This - Mummy Boome's Traditional Shepherds Pie Recipe : Danny Boome : Food Network is a pretty good looking Sheperd's Pie recipe. Just make it smaller and bake in a loaf pan, or oval ramekin. Serve with gravy. You can also use corned beef hash, from a can, in place of the ground beef and its still really good.

Last and easiest recipe (maybe the best of these three) - Riced Potatoes
Place your cooked potato meat into a ricer and squeeze through, into a microwave save bowl. Nuke until steaming hot. Top with softened butter and serve with some grilled pork chops and a side of your favorite veggies.

Hope those help.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh, one more - Potato-Fish Sandwiches

Ingredients:
1 egg, beaten.
1/4 cup cooked potato, mashed, but not with milk
chives, or onion powder
1 tsp. freshly minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
fish fillets large enough to cover a slice of bread

Heat 2 tbs. cooking oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat.

Add 1/2 of the beaten egg into the potato, along with the chives/onion, garlic, and salt. Mash together until the egg is completely mixed in.

Form the potato into a burger-sized patty fry over medium-high heat until golden. Flip and repeat. REmove the potato cake to a plate.
Dip the fish into the remaining egg, and dredge in flour. Fry in the oil for three minutes per side, or until the coating is lightly browned on both sides. Place the fish onto a slice of bread, after lightly salting it. Place the potato patty on top. Add a little ketchup on top, cover with a 2ns slice of bread and enjoy.

You can also make this by cutting cooked potatoes into thin rounds and frying until golden, rather than mashing them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You can make Papa Rellenas or Kartoffelklosse. Both are stuffed dumplings.:yum:

Back
Top Bottom