Potato sprouting with flowery buds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drcrappants

Assistant Cook
I know potatoes sprout, but now they have these bulbous buds on them. Guess theyre trying to flower?

Is it ok to just cut them off and bake them?

As long as the potatoes are not green just cut the buds off. If the potatoes are green throw them away. :chef:

Remove the buds fully!! Scoop down into the potato a bit with the tip of your peeler.

Last edited:
As long as the potatoes are not green just cut the buds off. If the potatoes are green throw them away. :chef:

Remove the buds fully!! Scoop down into the potato a bit with the tip of your peeler.
thanks elf!
err i usually leave skin on as i bake them. all i did was knife it through so its like a smooth potato. is that ok?

i know the sprouts are toxic; anyone know if the content of the potato changes? heard it converts its starches to simple sugars.

It's the syem starting to grow and the buds are the start of leaves. When we grow them, we leave these on to the potato plant a faster start. We are starting into the potato growing season, so it is likely happen. Also the place you store them maybe to warm and encouraging them to start growing.

For cooking just rub them off.

thanks elf!
err i usually leave skin on as i bake them. all i did was knife it through so its like a smooth potato. is that ok?

i know the sprouts are toxic; anyone know if the content of the potato changes? heard it converts its starches to simple sugars.

what you did is fine. I notice little change when using potatoes with major sprouts on them. just break off the sprouts to use the potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom