Poutine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Does anyone here make this? I've never had it but I lust after it anyway!:yum:

Here is Wiki's description of it:
Poutine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My hankering for it just got a boost when I found out that Trader Joe's is now carrying it. I won't be able to go to my TJ's until after Christmas and I'm not sure all TJ's will carry it.

Trader Joe's Now Sells Poutine, and it's Awesome | Serious Eats

I can buy cheese curds here and I like Ore-Ida's Crispy Fast Food Fries so all I need is a gravy. (Please don't tell me gravy is easy to make! :ohmy: Maybe for you.......) Any way for the Gravy Challenged to buy a packaged gravy mix and make it good enough?

Check out some of CWS's threads, she mentions poutine. I've never had it.

I had it the last time I was in Canada. French fries, gravy and curds, what could be bad about that? It tastes great but if you have a problem with soggy fries, it will negatively effect your enjoyment of this dish.

Like anything else, there is good poutine and bad poutine. It all depends where you get it. I may eat a bit of it a couple of times a year. Like everything else you need to source out the quality of the ingredients. Real curds, and a good home made gravy. The chips should be good and crispy to hold up to the gravy, or otherwise it is soggy. Which is where the good quality gravy comes into play. As long as the gravy is tasty, you can look past the soggy fries. Most places use gravy mixes and frozen fries. They even make a poutine curd now. I would try and get my hands on real curds. If all of the components are top notch, it can be a real winner....

Like anything else, there is good poutine and bad poutine. It all depends where you get it. I may eat a bit of it a couple of times a year. Like everything else you need to source out the quality of the ingredients. Real curds, and a good home made gravy. The chips should be good and crispy to hold up to the gravy, or otherwise it is soggy. Which is where the good quality gravy comes into play. As long as the gravy is tasty, you can look past the soggy fries. Most places use gravy mixes and frozen fries. They even make a poutine curd now. I would try and get my hands on real curds. If all of the components are top notch, it can be a real winner....

Absolutely. Mrs D loves poutine and according to her, the best around here is NY Fries. Hand cut fries, fresh real curds and a really tasty gravy.

Wow, thank you all for your replies! I just KNOW I'm going to like it but it's too bad I can't go to Canada to get the real deal. :(

I'll guess I'll just have to experiment with package brown gravy and tweak that a bit to make it mo' bettah.

+1
You can make the same thing no matter where you are. It's not just a Canadian thing. It may have been invented here, but that's about it. I have had some crappy poutine up here. :LOL:
I make it on occasion with oven baked fries. I think the hard part, outside of Canada and dairy country, is getting the cheese curds. If I couldn't get fresh curds, I would grate some cheddar onto the fries before adding the gravy.

Perfect gravy isn't hard. There are actually two ways to achieve perfect gravy. The first method, and the one I use for poutine goes like this:

Obtain 2 cups of your favorite broth, be it chicken, turkey, beef, pork, or moose (I made my last poutine with moose :yum:). Put it a pot and get it hot.

While the broth is heating, add 2 tbs. salted butter to a pan, and melt over low heat. When it is melted, add 2 tbs. flour to the pan and stir until everything is combined, no lumps. This is called a roux, for any that don't already know this. Let this mixture brown lightly. Now, add a ladle-full of broth to the roux and stir until the liquid is completely absorbed into the roux. It should be thick. Continue adding broth to the roux until it is smooth and creamy, yet thick enough to coat a spoon. If made with chicken, veal, or pork broth, this is called a Veloute'. Most of us just call it gravy.;) Remove from the heat. Serve over those crispy french-fries and cheddar cheese curds.:yum:

2nd Gravy technique:
Heat 2 cups of broth or stock until boiling. While its heating up, mix 2 tbs. cornstarch with 4 tbs. of cold water. Stir until it's smooth. This is called a slurry. When the broth is boiling, pour the slurry into the pan and stir. The gravy will thicken nicely. If you need to make it thicker, make more slurry and stir it into the gravy. Serve over whatever you need to serve gravy over.

Crispy home-made french fries:
Bring three cups of water to a boil.
Start with long, russet potatoes. Wash them, then peel them if you don't want' the skins on. Slice into three slices, lengthwise. Turn them so the slices are parallel to the cutting board. Slice lengthwise into three pieces again. Now place the potatoes into the boiling water and boil for seven minutes.

While the spuds are boiling, heat 3 to 4 inches of cooking oil to 370 F.

After the seven minutes have passed, remove the potatoes from the hot water, and place on a rack to dry for a minute or so. Now, carefully immerse the fries into the hot oil and cook until lightly browned. When done, remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Place onto a plate, top with cheese curds, then gravy. Now you have poutine.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I remember eating poutine, before I even knew it was called that. It was eaten with leftover gravy, usually after xmas or thanksgiving, or a roast beef meal. My mother would roughly cut potatoes and fry them in a cast iron pan. To round out the meal, we would also chop up whatever meat there was leftover and toss that on, too.

There is another type of poutine that originated in Quebec called Galvaude. It is with chicken and peas... https://www.google.ca/search?q=Galv...v6qDefr2QXHg4BA&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1123&bih=509

I assume it was also made with leftovers...
4424741029_4648cd4a95_z.jpg

One of these days, I am gonna travel northwards and try some of the wonderful creations I been hearing about since I joined this forum.

Northward to Pennsylvania? :LOL:
I've mentioned several times that the town store, which rarely carries anything outside the their box, has started carrying vacuum sealed cheese curds. I make poutine all the time. And really, the "Disco Fries" I made Sunday were not too far off. No squeak, but fries, cheese and gravy :yum:
Keep looking, Hoot. They might show up in your cheese cooler.

So funny! I had never heard of poutine until I began traveling to Canada for work, a few years back. But growing up as kid in Georgia we had a local hamburger joint call "4 Way". Yep, it was at a 4 way intersection. As a kid I would get gravy fries. It was fries, topped with brown gravy and then grated cheese. Now many years later, I found out that I was eating poutine. The ladies at the 4 Way would have wash my mouth out with soap if I had ordered Poutine in the 60's.

Does it have to be cheddar cheese curds? We have a local restaurant that sells their fresh mozzarella, made every day.
Nope, doesn't have to be cheddar curds, but it's the most traditional. I don't see fresh curds too often at grocery stores, but I can get fresh Gouda curds at Costco, so that's what I usually use.

brins-de-gouda-bergeron-2.png

Directory - Our cheeses

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom