Pre-heating oven with baking dish in Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Learning2Cook45

Assistant Cook
Does anyone pre-heat their oven with their baking dish? I know this is very common when cooking on a skillet, but wondering if people do this with baking.

What are the benefits of doing this?

If I'm putting a full glass baking dish in the oven to heat for dinner, I put it into a cold oven so the pan and the oven can come to temperature together.

I would only do this if I knew the glass was made of borosilicate glass. This glass would withstand having cool igredients added to it when it is hot, withoit shattering. Most baking glass is sodium glass and can shatter when exposed to sudden an wide temperature changes, like pouring a cold liquid in it to bake uncooked pasta, for intance. Spdium glass resists mechanical shock, but is no good with thermal shock.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't do this when making baked goods, like cookies, cake or breads - they need to go in when the oven is fully pre-heated in order to bake properly. I do put a dish of savory food in while preheating, especially if it's been refrigerated. Works just fine, no matter the material the dish is made from.

Chief, I was assuming the the OP meant putting a dish full of food in the oven to preheat with the oven - not an empty one. Although when I make cornbread, I do put my cast iron skillet Into the oven to preheat and add the batter once it's really hot.

Last edited:
I don't do this when making baked goods, like cookies, cake or breads - they need to go in when the oven is fully pre-heated in order to bake properly. I do put a dish of savory food in while preheating, especially if it's been refrigerated. Works just fine, no matter the material the dish is made from.

Chief, I was assuming the the OP meant putting a dish full of food in the oven to preheat with the oven - not an empty one. Although when I make cornbread, I do put my cast iron skillet Into the oven to preheat and add the batter once it's really hot.

I do this as well. Sometimes I'll make a casserole ahead of time and it sits in the fridge overnight. In those cases, I usually put the casserole in the oven at the same time I'm turning the oven on so it can come to temperature slowly. I'm always afraid of putting a casserole straight from the fridge into a pre-heated oven, simply from the horror stories I've read about casserole dishes shattering because of the 'shock' from the temperature difference.

Back
Top Bottom