"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Preparing potato salad in advance question

Getting right to the point, is potato salad on of those things that taste better when made in advance and allowing the flavors to blend over time (and if so, what would be considered an ideal time range)? Or is it better to make and serve ?

Not asking if it could be made in advance, cause clearly every deli does that, but if it benefits from being made in advance, or just doesn't make a difference.

I dont make potato salad all that often, so I've never really experimented.

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Cupcake

I've made potato salad and served it the same day. Leftovers are always better the next day. I find that my recipe needs at least overnight to meld the flavors.

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

+1 on letting sit overnight.

I have made, and served freshly make potato sdalad that was very good, and enjoyed by all. That being said, it really depends on your recipe. if yiou are including ingredients such as celery, chopped onion, maybe dill weed, those kinds of items need time for thier flavors to permiate the salad. A sijple potato salad ov mayo/salad dressing, onopon and garlic powder, sweet/disll pickle relish, and potatoes is good to eat in about 15 minutes.

Warm, and mashed potato salads, again, it depends on the recipe.
IMO, all potato salads, even those meant to be eaten warm, develop the best flavor when allowed to sit in the fridge overnight. A quick stir the next day and they are ready to eat.

Has anyone ever added pecans, walnuts, cashews, or almonds to their potato salad? Don't know why this idea just popped in my head, but it soulds like a good addition.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
if yiou are including ingredients such as celery, chopped onion, maybe dill weed, those kinds of items need time for thier flavors to permiate the salad.
Thats what I figured ( and what I did). Wont be over night, but dd make it first thing in the morning, so will have a good 8 - 10 hours to sit.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree that most potato salads are better after they essentially marinate for a few hours to overnight, but I disagree that those meant to be eaten warm should be refrigerated first. The warm potato salads I know of are highly seasoned and better warm.

One is German potato salad. The bacon grease in it is unpleasant if it's eaten cold and the bacon, onion and vinegar don't really need to sit.

Another is Bobby Flay's grilled potato salad. You cook the potatoes and mix them with a dressing made with mayo, mustard, honey and lots of fresh herbs. I also add preserved lemon. Right before serving, you grill it in a grill basket and serve warm. It's delicious.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

My potato salad recipe has a cooked mayonnaise sauce. We like it both same day and next day. Each tastes different. Same day it is still warm from the potatoes, hard boiled eggs and cooked sauce. So yummy! Then the next day, it is still good but the flavors have melded a bit more and the taste is a bit different but still good.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Overnight.......
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I agree that most potato salads are better after they essentially marinate for a few hours to overnight, but I disagree that those meant to be eaten warm should be refrigerated first. The warm potato salads I know of are highly seasoned and better warm.

One is German potato salad. The bacon grease in it is unpleasant if it's eaten cold and the bacon, onion and vinegar don't really need to sit.

Another is Bobby Flay's grilled potato salad. You cook the potatoes and mix them with a dressing made with mayo, mustard, honey and lots of fresh herbs. I also add preserved lemon. Right before serving, you grill it in a grill basket and serve warm. It's delicious.
thanks GG. My bad. I didn't mention that after chilling overnight, or for several hours, warm potato salad needs to be re-heated, in the oven, or microwave. It is meant to be eaten warm, after all.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:30 AM   #9
Master Chef

I usually make potato salad the morning I'm planning to serve it.

I use hot potatoes, give them a shot of AC vinegar, plenty of salt and a bit too much mayonnaise.

When the salad gets cold it will tighten up and the seasonings mellow out.

If you end up with too much leftover potato salad you can add some shredded cheese, a crispy topping like fried onion rings or crushed potato chips and bake it until it is hot and bubbly. It's also a good way to salvage less than perfect potato salad from the deli. Just don't tell people what you did until after dinner!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

If you end up with too much leftover potato salad you can add some shredded cheese, a crispy topping like fried onion rings or crushed potato chips and bake it until it is hot and bubbly. It's also a good way to salvage less than perfect potato salad from the deli. Just don't tell people what you did until after dinner!
What a great idea!

you are a treasure Aunt Bea!

Tags
potato, salad