Presentation! How Do You Guys Present Your Roasts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orryette

Cook
There's nothing better then a knee weakening taste test but! For me, I can't for the life of me plate up a roast so It looks, beautifully presented. It sorta takes the fun out of it for me when it looks like its just been chucked on there! Any hints guys?

Only slice some of the roast, and leave the rest whole. Lay slices overlapping on your serving platter with the remaining piece at one end. then garnish with whatever you would like. I often use the veggies as a garnish, or greens and cherry tomatoes. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Remember people are there for the meal and the taste is what counts in the end.

I am a big collector of platters. I have about a dozen in different sizes. I would normally slice the roast as best I can, clean away any fat and grizzle you don't want, and lay it out on the platter so people can take what they want. Remember to carve against the grain.....
I also have collected a few lids from second hand shops or yard sales. Very inexpensive because people can't imagine what to do with just a lid. Wok lids are great for this. They can be very useful when serving foods at the table. They help keep the food moist and warm. I like to keep everything covered when serving food this way.

Yea cheers :) I know im being picky lol if it. Doesn't taste good it finds itself in the bin lol but yea I'm a perfectionist and I'm far from perfect lol

Only slice some of the roast, and leave the rest whole. Lay slices overlapping on your serving platter with the remaining piece at one end. then garnish with whatever you would like. I often use the veggies as a garnish, or greens and cherry tomatoes. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Remember people are there for the meal and the taste is what counts in the end.

Pretty much, that's how I roll with it.

img_1119678_0_bef42c09f1cd016e839a50b3fef2a67d.jpg

Thx Rocklobster I'll try the lids too I find it hard to keep the veggies in-particular warm for long too even when there in a oven warmed dish.

That looks awesome Tattrat!

Last edited:
Thx Rocklobster I'll try the lids too I find it hard to keep the veggies in-particular warm for long too even when there in a oven warmed dish.

That looks awesome Tattrat!
Yeah. It looks great.

I started to use lids quite a few years ago after moving into an old house. It had been renovated so the dining room table was quite a distance away from the kitchen. I started to bring all of the food to the table so we wouldn't have to walk back to the kitchen if we wanted seconds. So it was on platters, then I had to keep it covered because by the time I got it all out there, and everybody finally came to the table, it would still be warm. Over the years of collecting stuff I have come up with some pretty good matches with lids to platters, of all different sizes. I prefer my eclectic, mismatched stuff to new. It all has character and an interesting story behind each piece. I also have a few large trays and cutting boards with handles I can load up and bring hot stuff with just one trip.

Last edited:
I present two parts, the carved slices and the rest. Well, not really the rest, because, if it's a particularly good one, an uncarved portion in the middle seems to get mislaid. Mislaid, not lost, because I'll find it again the next day when those folks are gone. They cannot be trusted to leave me any for later.

GLC said:
I present two parts, the carved slices and the rest. Well, not really the rest, because, if it's a particularly good one, an uncarved portion in the middle seems to get mislaid. Mislaid, not lost, because I'll find it again the next day when those folks are gone. They cannot be trusted to leave me any for later.

Bahahahaha

lyndalou said it, tatt showed it.

one of the more difficult things to roast, slice, and serve as a presentation are poultry, especially turkeys.
i've gotten pretty good slicing up a chicken so there's not much meat to pick from the bones with all of the roast chickens my wife makes, but i've learned it has a lot to do with how long it has rested. i guess that goes for all roasts for moistness, but birds really need to rest or you'll shred the meat.

i'm always impressed when a chef can slice up a bird, then stack the slices back onto the carcass to almost make it look whole again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom