Problem with my sauces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triestocook

Assistant Cook
Hi all,
Whenever I make a sauce of any kind it is always watery.
My boyfriend and I am on a big health kick so I have been making most of my sauces by chopping up lots of veg and adding a tin of chopped tomatoes. I add a stock cube and cook it for a considerable amount of time but when I dish it up a little pool of water forms around the edge of the sauce! I also have the same problem when I bake vegetables in a pyrex dish with a little olive oil in the oven. Help!!!

Drain the water off the tomatoes? Make a roux to thicken? Can you name a couple of the sauces your make'n? Are you make'n bolognese?

Maybe sweat/saute the veggies first?

BTW, welcome to DC!

I basically just fry some onions and garlic, maybe add some celery or carrots and then add a tin of tomatoes and a stock cube and cook for about 10 mins- I don;t really follow a recipe- maybe that's my problem!

Let it cook down without a lid to thicken. And maybe don't use much oil when you saute your veggies. Also, I have found that EVOO seems to incorporate into what you are making, both sauces and gravies, better than canoloa oil or some other vegetable oil.
I had this exact same problem when I first started making sauces. Probably even have the thread here.

You do know that bacon is healthy, right?;):LOL: I'd add a couple slices of bacon, when that is done take out the bacon and add flour to the oil to make a roux then on to the onions, garlic, etc....and don't forget to add back in the bacon!:)

Or use evoo for the fat for the roux. boring.;):LOL:

Leaving the lid off will allow the excess water to evaporate. Keep the liquid barely bubbling, keep checking and stirring more often as it thickens.

Back
Top Bottom