Question about Greek Symbol in Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puriti

Assistant Cook
My grandfather passed off a recipe to me, asking me what some symbols meant, and I had no idea haha.

It's "?Ω"

I know the symbol is Omega, but I don't know what the actual symbols mean together when asking for the ingredients.

Please helppp ^_^ Thank you

I took it to mean "is this the last?" Maybe leaving room for additional ingredients?

My grandfather passed off a recipe to me, asking me what some symbols meant, and I had no idea haha.

It's "?Ω"

I know the symbol is Omega, but I don't know what the actual symbols mean together when asking for the ingredients.

Please helppp ^_^ Thank you

I posed the question to my Dad who enjoys playing on the Internet. Here is his response:

The internet has a few obscure flaws, one of which is character translation. When the Unicode character "1/2" is transmitted, it is sometimes interpreted as the ASCII character"omega" . I would like to type the actual symbols, but Google goes crazy when I do, so I'm stuck with typing their names in quotes. I found a lot of recipes containing the "omega" symbol, and after quite a bit of reading, I ran across this: "omega" cup Butter, so clearly, "omega" = 1/2. I haven't been so lucky with the other symbols that occasionally show up, but I'll keep looking.

I hope this helps! Dad is like a nanobot, set him to something and he will happily chew away till he gets to the core. We are making his day! :)

I posed the question to my Dad who enjoys playing on the Internet. Here is his response:

The internet has a few obscure flaws, one of which is character translation. When the Unicode character "1/2" is transmitted, it is sometimes interpreted as the ASCII character"omega" . I would like to type the actual symbols, but Google goes crazy when I do, so I'm stuck with typing their names in quotes. I found a lot of recipes containing the "omega" symbol, and after quite a bit of reading, I ran across this: "omega" cup Butter, so clearly, "omega" = 1/2. I haven't been so lucky with the other symbols that occasionally show up, but I'll keep looking.

I hope this helps! Dad is like a nanobot, set him to something and he will happily chew away till he gets to the core. We are making his day! :)

Please tell your dad "THANK YOU"!! I'm always facinated by this stuff. Please give him two omegas worth of hugs!

Please tell your dad "THANK YOU"!! I'm always facinated by this stuff. Please give him two omegas worth of hugs!

No problem...right after I get through squeezing him for me:) I will e-mail him the Thanks! No half measures here!:LOL:

It was an article in the newspaper and it was like.

?Ω Butternut Squash
?Ω Turnips

stuff like that... it was really odd.

Back
Top Bottom