Question about making roux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i learned how to make roux from justin wilson, equal parts flour and fat, make it as dark as you like for beef, lighter for chicken and seafood. I have never had a problem with any of my dishes based on roux.

i gaaarooouuunnntttteeee ;)

Last edited:
I like to make it in big batches and freeze it in an ice cube tray. They I have it for quick fix meals.
I make up roux in big batches too. I used to freeze wafers of roux on wax paper. Then, I read what Julia Child had to say and she says it lasts for months in the fridge, so that's what I do now.

I really don't know my ratio of flour to fat. I use whole wheat flour and I have never seen a recipe for roux using whole wheat flour. I suspect I use about 2 parts flour to one part fat. I just keep adding flour until it looks right to me. My roux is kind of a sandy blob, not the shiny, liquid looking stuff in the link. It works well and I don't get lumps (7-9-13, so far).

I tend to use beef fat for beef gravy, pork of bacon fat for pork gravy, etc. I will have to try making roux with oil some time.

I learned how to make roux from Justin Wilson, equal parts flour and fat, make it as dark as you like for beef, lighter for chicken and seafood. I have never had a problem with any of my dishes based on roux.

Ditto. I miss the old geezer. Him, not you. :angel:

Hey Patra. Here is a link to making a quick cajun roux. It is from Paul Prudhomme.

http://www.bbq-porch.org/recipes/html/r1091.htm

I have used this method many times, though I tend to remove the pot from the heat several times to "cool down" and extend the cooking time as long as needed to achieve the desired color. You absolutely must keep stirring! I use a whisk. He refers to this stuff as "cajun napalm", so you must avoid splashing it. I have taken a roux to the black stage using this method for chicken and andouille gumbo.

This gumbo calls for adding the trinity to the roux (as Andy mentioned) when it is ready. The roux even gets a little darker when the vegis are added. When the vegis have soften, then the stock is added a little at a time.

Back
Top Bottom