Question for Culinary and Hospitality Personnel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
I am seeking information from culinary and hospitality personnel. For reference, I'm in the United States, and considering a career change to the above.

Here's my situation. Currently I am a graduate student finishing up on my graduate degree in a few months. What I have been contemplating the past few months is moving into the hospitality or culinary field rather than my current career with is Information Technology and Business. It is a big change.

I already have an undergraduate in IS and now a soon MBA so I'm wondering, can it be done and if so, how do I do it? I have to admit I am a little freaked out as I've never experienced this sort of change and it really has caught me off guard. Has anyone ever gone through something like this? How did you deal with it? Inquiry minds want to know. I'm sure many are going to come back with low pay, long hours, etc but that's not what I am looking for. I ask for serious replies only as this is a career issue I have been considering and found no other place to turn for valid information.

Thanks in advance for thoughts. :chef:

Sue

I think your education would/could prove very useful in the Hospitality arena. Hotel Management comes to mind. I also would suggest to move slowly, take your time, and find what you have a true passion for before making any major life changes.

Stick to your current curriculum...and get something nights or weekends in the food service industry. You need to get an idea of what you'd be interested in doing...

Okay, there is a mix of both categories in Iowa and Omaha, NE. I can agree about moving very slowly as I'm doing a lot of that lately these days. LOL! I have been aiming towards management since my BS degree but now I'm not sure what direction for the career so I am wondering on things. I appreciate your responses.

Well, first, IMHO I agree that you should complete your MBA program since you are so close to being done. No matter what path you eventually take you will always have that to fall back on.

You might check out the Culinary Arts, Restaurant & Hospitality Management program at the University of Nebraska - Omaha, or the Culinary Arts and Management program at the Metropolitan Community College in Omaha.

It has been my experience that if you want to take your education/career in a new direction it always requires going back to school for some more courses that are specific to the new career goals.

Finish your degree program, go get a job in the field and work for a year or so.
Get a part time job in the general field you are otherwise interested in.
Leaving academia is a big step, but it has to happen sooner or later, unless
you just go into teaching.

After a year in the world, reassess your goals.....

Back
Top Bottom