Question for Steak experts (T-Bone)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why do you recommend skirt or shin? Are they softer? Yet cheaper? How does that work?
Rush what I tried to convey is if you cannot afford or get quality steak of any cut dont bother with cheap junk, the cheaper cut like skirt or shin will taste better after in shins case long slow cooking than a poor piece of steak.

Here are my basic rules of steak purchasing:

You are not going to buy a steakable steak for 2 bucks a pound. At the local Costco, choice ribeyes and strips are around $8-10. Prime a couple of dollars more.

There are basically only 3 primals producing steaks. These are the rib, loin, and to a lesser extent, the round. Ribeye, filet, strip are just boneless versions of these. Bone in are self explanatory and most contain two of the boneless + the bone. Differences between porterhouse, T bone, Delmonico, etc, have to do with these proportions.

The location if the steak within these primals is important. The difference between a chuck roast and the first rib steak is a knife cut. Likewise between the rib -loin and loin round. Generally speaking, the closer to the center of the critter, the better the steak.

Aging is important. Most supermarket steak has little, if any age. There are two reasons, cost, and the fact that aged meat loses the bright red color that some buyers favor. The choices with the consumer concerning aging are to pay the price for dry aged restuarant quality staek, somewhere in the $12 +/lb range, or purchase sub primal cuts in Cryovac and age it wet yourself. Prime grade ribeyes here are about $8/pound. Around 45 - 60 days works for me, from packing date. The date of packing is stamped on the box, and the butcher should be able to get it for you. Just store the unbroken package in the referigerator.

Grades are preceded by USDA and choice and prime are IMO the only steak grades. Names like Angus, Butchers Select, Farmers Best, are trade names. They may mean something, they may not.

For me, being a good consumer means a rudimentary knowledge of the product I am buying. Many good butchers will take the time to give you a crash course in meet cuts. People like Rob, who buy and cook more steak in a night than most of us do in a year, are worth listening to. The internet has good information.

If your budget limits you to less than market price, you are probably better off without steak. Other critters, like pork and fowl, and creative cooking of lesser cuts of beef are a better option.

Last edited:
I buy New Yorks and Rib-Eyes for grilling steaks.
I love the Porterhouse and T-bone but the ones in my supermarket are crap.The filet is usually stripped off the T-bone completely and the porterhouses are never cut thick enough and they look more like a T-Bone.

I find a 1/2 hour soak in soy sauce will really improve the beefy/umami flavor of supermarket steaks.(no more)

I will sometimes pound my New Yorks with my fist a few times before marinating to help tenderize them a little.

I also reccommend cooking a steak with as much heat as you can muster. Hot and fast makes a more tender steak. Slow is for other cuts of meat and will toughen steaks.

I also buy mine on the cheap and freeze them. This will toughen them a bit too but I find the price savings more valueable to me.

I buy New Yorks and Rib-Eyes for grilling steaks.
I love the Porterhouse and T-bone but the ones in my supermarket are crap.The filet is usually stripped off the T-bone completely and the porterhouses are never cut thick enough and they look more like a T-Bone.

I find a 1/2 hour soak in soy sauce will really improve the beefy/umami flavor of supermarket steaks.(no more)

I will sometimes pound my New Yorks with my fist a few times before marinating to help tenderize them a little.

I also reccommend cooking a steak with as much heat as you can muster. Hot and fast makes a more tender steak. Slow is for other cuts of meat and will toughen steaks.

I also buy mine on the cheap and freeze them. This will toughen them a bit too but I find the price savings more valueable to me.
I think a T bone with the filet stripped is called a shell or bone in strip.

I've never brined anything. What kinda brine would you recommend for steak?

And how much will brining improve a top sirloin steak? Will it become as soft as a prime rib?
Apologies to you Rush...I WAY missed this post earlier. Not to get too complicated about brining though, especially since its not a familiar topic for you, well, were I you, I would begin trying the process on cut-up bits of chicken to be fried. (thats how I learned anyhow)..My family did the usual of taking the chicken pieces stratght out of the packagiing, &, went straight into the breading phase. Nothing wrong with that, ...BUT.....my eldestst greatgrandma was still around. Her fried chicken just couldn't be matched. PERIOD! I spent quite some time w/her, &, she introduced me to brining, &, what it was all about! Never have I looked back since!
Brining is a process in which you introduce your raw meats into a lovingly bath/soak that consists of at least 85% salt, &, as you progress, other things can be added(the longer you brine, the better -at least 24hrs in advanced helps gobs).. It helps to remove the meats blood, while imparting flavour at the same time.
When its time to cook, simply strain of the yucky red water, give the meat a slight rinse, &, *poof* you are ready to go. The more that you get comfortable doing this, I PROMISE, the "better" your food will taste!!
For me know, brining now is such a huge step, that, I never, ever just cook most of anything unless it has has a proper "brine".

Last edited:
Please explain 85% salt brine. Wouldn't the salt be just wet? I'm assuming that it doesn't mean 85 grams of salt in 100 grams of solution...

Apologies to you Rush...I WAY missed this post earlier. Not to get too complicated about brining though, especially since its not a familiar topic for you, well, were I you, I would begin trying the process on cut-up bits of chicken to be fried. (thats how I learned anyhow)..My family did the usual of taking the chicken pieces stratght out of the packagiing, &, went straight into the breading phase. Nothing wrong with that, ...BUT.....my eldestst greatgrandma was still around. Her fried chicken just couldn't be matched. PERIOD! I spent quite some time w/her, &, she introduced me to brining, &, what it was all about! Never have I looked back since!
Brining is a process in which you introduce your raw meats into a lovingly bath/soak that consists of at least 85% salt, &, as you progress, other things can be added(the longer you brine, the better -at least 24hrs in advanced helps gobs).. It helps to remove the meats blood, while imparting flavour at the same time.
When its time to cook, simply strain of the yucky red water, give the meat a slight rinse, &, *poof* you are ready to go. The more that you get comfortable doing this, I PROMISE, the "better" your food will taste!!
For me know, brining now is such a huge step, that, I never, ever just cook most of anything unless it has has a proper "brine".

I see. Thanks for the informative post. I've always been confused about "brining."

I always thought that the purpose of brining, was to break down the meat and sorta tenderize it with acid and enzymes, and so forth.

But I watched an episode of Alton, and he said that brining just helps lock in the juices during the cooking process... it sorta fuses the skin of the meat and closes up the pores, so juices can't escape...

It seems to run contrary to the common belief that brining breaks down the meat. Alton says that brining fortifies it... maybe I misinterpreted...

I buy cheap steaks to always have some in the freezer. Not as cheap as you, Rush, but pretty darn cheap for my area. It's so cheap there isn't even a grade stamped on it. A couple years ago I think I payed 2.99/lb for strip and last year 3.99/lb for ribeye. I buy the whole loin and cut them myself (although the grocery store offers free cutting). The trick is to buy one with the most marbling. If none of them look good, I wait until they set some new ones out. I would rather buy a cheap ribeye than an expensive sirloin, but that's my taste. My preference is for rare and that's how I cook them. They are always tender and juicy. Sometimes I will treat myself to a better grade from behind the counter. There is an appreciable difference, but since I like to eat steak a lot the cheaper grade suits me fine, as long as there is some decent marbling. Without that marbling you might as well grind it up into lean hamburger.

Totally agree with ya. Cheap ribeye > Expensive top sirloin

I mean, how bad can ribeye be, right? :ROFLMAO:

If marbling is what dictates the grade of a meat, even select grade Ribeyes are very dense with fat.

Then again, my experience with steak is nowhere near the level of a lot of the connoisseurs here, so what do I know...

For now, I'll take your word for it.

Your bad experience with steak is because you are buying a very cheap grade of beef. If you want to enjoy steak, maybe save up and buy better quality meat. I honestly have never seen steak for sale fir $2 pound in probably 20 years.

A TBone and Porterhouse are basically the same thing. A filet mignon on one side and a NY strip on the other side. Tbones usually have a bigger filet. They are good steaks, but for your purposes probably not worth the extra money if its low quality meat.

You can't brine beef and get the same results as you get with poultry or shrimp.

One idea would buy some round steak of a higher quality, marinate it, grill it to medium rare, and slice it thinly against the grain: London Broil.

Thanks for the tip.

How do I know what's against the grain? Do you just mean to slice the steak at an angle?

Rush, with the quality, or lack thereof, of the cuts you are purchasing, your best bet is to treat them like chuck.;) Trying to compare the grades you are purchasing with prime grade or better is not worth discussing.

Craig

I don't think anybody is comparing Prime grade with Select grade, but if discussing sub-prime graded steak is not worth discussing, I don't know why nobody on mainstream TV ever mentions "quality" as a necessary component to a steak.

I always thought that the differences in taste, was dictated by the cut. Just never heard a TV chef (or anybody else in mainstream media, at least) tell the viewers/readers/listeners/what-have-you not to bother with anything below Prime or even Choice.

They always just say, "Make sure it's at least an inch thick."

But now that I'm on these forums, I'm kinda surprised at how everybody considers the defining characteristic of meat to be quality, more than anything. And this topic is being treated like basic, common sense knowledge. :(

I feel like I've been living under a rock. Food Network didn't prepare for this. :ROFLMAO:

Rush what I tried to convey is if you cannot afford or get quality steak of any cut dont bother with cheap junk, the cheaper cut like skirt or shin will taste better after in shins case long slow cooking than a poor piece of steak.

Gah, I'm not really a slow cooker. Thanks, though. :ohmy:

Grades are preceded by USDA and choice and prime are IMO the only steak grades. ..

Not sure if you were being literal, or speaking more from a personal standpoint, but USDA also features "Select" grade. That's the stuff I'm getting... and Rancher's Reserve.

Aging is important. Most supermarket steak has little, if any age. There are two reasons, cost, and the fact that aged meat loses the bright red color that some buyers favor. The choices with the consumer concerning aging are to pay the price for dry aged restuarant quality staek, somewhere in the $12 +/lb range, or purchase sub primal cuts in Cryovac and age it wet yourself. Prime grade ribeyes here are about $8/pound. Around 45 - 60 days works for me, from packing date. The date of packing is stamped on the box, and the butcher should be able to get it for you. Just store the unbroken package in the referigerator..

Why is it people always tell you to store the meat in the freezer, within 3 days? Isn't it susceptible to bacterial infections, if you don't eat it fresh?

Thanks guys, for all your feedback!

Everytime I come on these boards, I feel even more overwhelmed by how little I know about food.

It's an educational experience for me, and I really appreciate it. I'm so glad I can always come to you guys for expert advice.

Anyway, I got the USDA Select T-bone to give it a try.

I also saw porterhouse steaks for just 20 cents more (4.19/lb), so I picked up a couple of those, 'cause I couldn't help it. :ROFLMAO:

The thickness was about an inch, I'd say. I wish they were thicker.

Haven't tried the porterhouse yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by the t-bone, actually.

The NY strip side, tasted a little better than my previous experience, so I'm assuming the quality was slightly higher. Plus, a lot of the meat was next to the t-bone, so it was very tender.

The filet side didn't disappoint.

I think I'll definitely get more T-bones, porterhouses, and ribeyes in the future, and I'll reserve $2 top sirloin for burgers.

rush said:
And I know Rancher's Reserve is a brand. Apparently, they claim to sell Prime grade.

The brand, found in Safeway stores (maybe others) used to be "No Roll" beef....Meaning it's not USDA graded. Unlike the mandatory USDA safety inspection paid for by the government, grading of beef is optional and is paid for by the processor. The greatest majority of No Roll is Select Beef...

Suggest you shop for USDA graded Choice Beef...Learn to choose the best steak(s) in the grocer's display.

The 'secret' to Top Sirloin is thickness....11/2 in. minimum...2 in. is better cooking only to medium rare. HTH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom