Question regarding popcorn also

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok........I'm going through some of my community cookbooks and drooling over the carmel corn recipes.........thats a weakness for me. I was thinking it was probably best to buy the kernals and pop it myself. The problem is.... How the heck do I know how much I'm suppose to cook? Or should I just use the bagged microwave popcorn and measure that out once its popped? If I used the microwave kind, do I use the buttered flavored or what?

I wouldn't use the microwave kind, too much salt and butter flavour already added. If I remember right. 1/2 cup of kernels will make about 6 cups of popped in my air popper. (I use it for filler when packing up prezzies for shipping.)

Oh dear...and we have just discovered the delights of American sachets of corn ready to be popped in the microwave! Well at least I have just discovered it, stepsons tell me ' get with it...we have been eating this for years when there is a game on TV!!'. Duuuuuhhhhh:rolleyes:
I have to admit, the extra white butter one is yummy. This is an old non popcorn lover speaking.:(

DaCook said:
I wouldn't use the microwave kind, too much salt and butter flavour already added. If I remember right. 1/2 cup of kernels will make about 6 cups of popped in my air popper. (I use it for filler when packing up prezzies for shipping.)

I have one of those popcorm machines.........forgot about it. I only bring it out at Christmas time to make popcorn strands for the tree. Thanks for the reminder on that one. Now to go find a site that will convert cups and quarts. Thanks everyone for the tips!

I might also add when making Carmel corn that it's easier and nicer to use a "Mushroom" style of Popcorn instead of the standard "Butterfly" popcorn. I had to purchase mine online.. Do a quick search for "Mushroom Popcorn" on Google and you should find out more information. It's used by manufacturers for Kettle Corn and Carmel corn..

I didn't have much to add other than its worth a try.. Not as much breakage, and a nice tender popcorn kernel.

-Brad

candelbc said:
I might also add when making Carmel corn that it's easier and nicer to use a "Mushroom" style of Popcorn instead of the standard "Butterfly" popcorn. I had to purchase mine online.. Do a quick search for "Mushroom Popcorn" on Google and you should find out more information. It's used by manufacturers for Kettle Corn and Carmel corn..

I didn't have much to add other than its worth a try.. Not as much breakage, and a nice tender popcorn kernel.

-Brad

Wow....didn't realize there was a difference till you just pointed it out. But now that I think about it they are different in shape.

Don't know if I should post this here or not, move it if you have to, but has anyone used the Presto Power Pop microwave multi-popper that has Orville Redenbocker's stamp of approval? I bought mine at WalMart for around $18 and it works great! Don't know if it's okay to post a site but I just went to Google and typed in PPPMM and up it came, pictures, user comments. Anyway, as it says it's designed to make popcorn the way you like it---with oil or without, with butter. It also comes with a booklet with hints and recipes. I've used it 3 times and it's made wonderful popcorn!

Have all sorts of poppers somewhere in the basement.

Personally prefer just to toss a bit of oil in a pot, add the corn, and cook it.

To me it is the easist way to go.

auntdot said:
Have all sorts of poppers somewhere in the basement.

Personally prefer just to toss a bit of oil in a pot, add the corn, and cook it.

To me it is the easist way to go.

Me too.. I use the Whirley Pop which makes it even easier... It has a crank in the handle that you turn while it is cooking. The whole thing works just like a minature version of what you see in a movie theater or professional popcorn popper. It makes a lot of good popcorn fast, so it works well for making large batches of Caramel Corn.

-Brad

I put 3 tablespoons of popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag and just fold over the top. It makes about 3-4 cups. I prefer to make caramel corn with plain popcorn. On my microwave, I have a popcorn setting and just push 'Regular' size.

It grosses Mr HB out but I like it for a snack when I'm watching my weight. He uses the packets with salt and extra butter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom