"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Questions about red meat

Hi, I herd on the nets saying any meat that is from a mammal is red meat. Is this true? If its not true then are any of these meats red meat?

-bacon?
-prosciutto?
-meatballs?
-Italian sausage?
-ham?
-pepperoni?

discusscookingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
Master Chef

That said, bacon, prosciutto, and ham are pork, which has declared itself the other white meat.

Meatballs, Italian sausage, and pepperoni are mixtures and can be made with beef, pork, turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu, or any combination of these if you so desire. I prefer my Italian sausage made with pork, while Giada DeLaurentis always specifies turkey sausage. For meatballs I use 2 parts beef, 1 part pork and 1 part veal. Pepperoni is usually a combination of beef and pork, but I am sure you can find someone who makes it with turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu or even sawdust if you look hard enough.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post

That said, bacon, prosciutto, and ham are pork, which has declared itself the other white meat.

Meatballs, Italian sausage, and pepperoni are mixtures and can be made with beef, pork, turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu, or any combination of these if you so desire. I prefer my Italian sausage made with pork, while Giada DeLaurentis always specifies turkey sausage. For meatballs I use 2 parts beef, 1 part pork and 1 part veal. Pepperoni is usually a combination of beef and pork, but I am sure you can find someone who makes it with turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu or even sawdust if you look hard enough.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
In gastronomy, red meat is commonly red when raw and a dark color after it is cooked, in contrast to white meat, which is pale in color before and after cooking.[1][2] In culinary terms, only flesh from mammals or fowl (not fish) is classified as red or white
from Wikipedia, on the internet.

It's meat from mammals.

Tags
meat