Questions about red meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, I herd on the nets saying any meat that is from a mammal is red meat. Is this true? If its not true then are any of these meats red meat?

-bacon?
-prosciutto?
-meatballs?
-Italian sausage?
-ham?
-pepperoni?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

That said, bacon, prosciutto, and ham are pork, which has declared itself the other white meat.

Meatballs, Italian sausage, and pepperoni are mixtures and can be made with beef, pork, turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu, or any combination of these if you so desire. I prefer my Italian sausage made with pork, while Giada DeLaurentis always specifies turkey sausage. For meatballs I use 2 parts beef, 1 part pork and 1 part veal. Pepperoni is usually a combination of beef and pork, but I am sure you can find someone who makes it with turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu or even sawdust if you look hard enough.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

That said, bacon, prosciutto, and ham are pork, which has declared itself the other white meat.

Meatballs, Italian sausage, and pepperoni are mixtures and can be made with beef, pork, turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu, or any combination of these if you so desire. I prefer my Italian sausage made with pork, while Giada DeLaurentis always specifies turkey sausage. For meatballs I use 2 parts beef, 1 part pork and 1 part veal. Pepperoni is usually a combination of beef and pork, but I am sure you can find someone who makes it with turkey, chicken, soy protein, tofu or even sawdust if you look hard enough.

thanks, much apreciated

In gastronomy, red meat is commonly red when raw and a dark color after it is cooked, in contrast to white meat, which is pale in color before and after cooking.[1][2] In culinary terms, only flesh from mammals or fowl (not fish) is classified as red or white
from Wikipedia, on the internet. :ohmy: :ermm:

It's meat from mammals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom