Questions about shitake mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to avoid the weird stuff in commercial oyster sauce, which I also find overly sweet.

Thanks for mentioning the shitake flavour spreading to the entire dish. DH isn't a fan of mushrooms, but doesn't mind a bit. When I make this, I will try to remember to use it in a side dish. That way I won't ruin an entire meal for DH, if he hates the pervasiveness of the shitake flavour.

Keep me posted. Im curious to see how it works out for you.

Thanks, clearly not. While I may have “some” oak in the yard, most of it is either cedar or pine. Any suggestions on what I can do with those?

Off the top of my head, not sure.
Here is a link to the place I get my mushroom stuff.

https://www.fieldforest.net/category/growing-outdoors

This link is to the " Growing Mushrooms Outdoors" section of the website. They provide a list of which tree, substrate is best for which mushroom.

Ive also contacted them through e-mail with a few questions, and they were quick to reply and helpful. They would know better than me, as all my knowledge comes from there website.

OK - here´s a completely insane idea - but perhaps not quite as insane as I thought to begin with.
Use Marmite, instead of going to all the trouble of making oyster sauce.
Firstly, it´s definitely got that umami flavour, no doubt.
Secondly, it´s vegan.

OK - here´s a completely insane idea - but perhaps not quite as insane as I thought to begin with.
Use Marmite, instead of going to all the trouble of making oyster sauce.
Firstly, it´s definitely got that umami flavour, no doubt.
Secondly, it´s vegan.

I like Marmite, but it tastes nothing like oyster sauce. I don't care if it is vegan. I just found a recipe that sounded reasonable and happens to be vegan. I might put some fish sauce in my oyster sauce substitute.

Other reasons I won't be using Marmite: it's not easily available here, and certainly not from the places I get my groceries delivered from. And, it contains "vegetable extract". Until I know for sure that that isn't a non-fermented soy product, I'm not going to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom