Questions for the Chefs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a chef, but I saw a hidden camera with a disgusting :sick: report on one of the news magazines of what some chefs do to returned food. I could hardly believe my eyes, but there it was. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who saw it.

That was lovely that you were given a dessert for the compliment!! Very classy of the chef, and smart too. I'm sure you've told local people about the nice experience at his place.

If a chef is passionate about what they do then they will handle any comments in a professional manner. I've worked in a few restaurants in my life but have never witnessed this behaviour from chefs, though I know it does go on.

sometimes the kitchen gets it wrong and the customer needs to talk to the wait staff to get it fixed. Sometimes the customer has ordered something and was misinformed as to what it is. THe kitchen needs to sub something else.
If the customer truly orders well done the chef needs to make dang sure it is well done. It's not difficult to do.

On the other hand, specific restaurants serve specific types of food. No catchup in my middle eastern diner.

There are also problem customers who make a scene everywhere no matter what. Restaurants keep track of these and sooner or later refuse service. "You have never been pleased with the food or service here, you really should dine elsewhere where you might find it more to your liking." "I want to see if things have changed for the better." "They haven't, good evening." (actual conversation I heard between a very professional hostess and a problem diner.)

Positives are an affirmation I am doing it right. Negatives teach me how to improve - unless the customer is way off base like a lady who asked for medium rare then complained her steak was still red inside.

I was watching an episode of one of those restaurants fixer upper shows with Chef Gordon Ramsey. The owner was the cook and he would tell the customers they were the ones wrong if they sent something back. He didn't care what complaints he got he would still prepare the food the way he wanted, lol. It was kinda funny to me because he didn't even care that he was hurting himself. He told one lady who sent food back to choose something else on the menu, lol. That was crazy!!

It really doesn't matter if you are cooking in a diner, or a 5 star restaurant, or designing jet aircraft. Humility goes a long way toward creating a superior product. When a person's ego gets in the way, little progress, if any results from the work. t nuch ego keeps us from learning, or taking constructive criticism. it also drives other people away. IMHO, humility is second only to selflessness as the most important character traits a person can possess.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

We have a restaurant in our condo.....the chef is.....so so.....We were hosting a dinner party and I asked chef to do baked stuffed potatoes. He did not know what he was doing....all we got was halfed baked potatoes, with the potatoes sort of broken up in the shells......well, I made some baked stuffed taters here at home and took one down to him to show him how to do them.....I think he was appreciative.....he gave us our coffee on the house.....so, I'll give him a few weeks and then see if I can order some....to be continued....LOL

Back
Top Bottom