Quiche cooking temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I need to make a good sized quiche and have been surfing various recipes as I don't love mine....

I've been surprised to see a wide range of cooking temps from 325 to 400 with most being 350. One recipe i found at 400 recommends cooking for 30 mins at 400 and then reducing heat to 375. There is some appeal here as I think the crust would be much better but I am concerned about the custard breaking at this temp. Any thoughts about this?

I use the recipe in the original Betty Crocker Cookbook - it's never broken and it's always cooked through. This is for a 9-inch quiche. Preheat the oven to 425°F and bake the quiche for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 and bake another 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

I use the recipe in the original Betty Crocker Cookbook - it's never broken and it's always cooked through. This is for a 9-inch quiche. Preheat the oven to 425°F and bake the quiche for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 300 and bake another 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Those are the temps and times I use.

So - I did this tonight and used lots of eggs and heavy cream. Started at 425, turned the oven down to 300. It took 65 mins to cook (9/1/2 inch pan) Perfect. Thanks everyone.

6 eggs
1 /1/2 Cup heavy cream
shredded gruyere, cheddar and parm (about 1 1/3 Cup total)
sauteed mushrooms and onions
cayenne, salt, nutmeg, pepper

Yum - no leftovers.

Any protein strands, including what are in eggs will contract and squeeze out whatever moisture they contain when the temperature goes above 212 F. Then the protein strands will have the texture of rubber bands. This is not a 'theory' it is a scientific fact.
If you want a 'perfectly cooked' quiche preheat the oven to 200 F. Put the quiche in covered. Check the temp every fifteen minutes until the internal temp is about 155 F. Remove from oven and rest. The 'carry-over' temp. will bring the quiche temp up to 160 F. Perfect.
This is known as 'low and slow' and there are some cooks who are resistant to using this method. They are also leery of 'SV'. It's up to you to decide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom