Quinoa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SammyP

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys

Could anyone tell me some recipes to use Quinoa in? I know you can add it to stews but I wondered if there were some recipes where Quinoa is the main ingredient.

I'm trying to you up items in my cupboard and found the Quinoa along with red lentils & cous cous. So if you have any nice recipes on the other 2 ingredient as well that would be very helpful!

Hi Sammy. Welcome to the site. This recipe is a hit every time it is made. It is very versatile too so if there are ingredients in here that you are not crazy about then feel free to leave them out or if there are substitutions you want to make then go for it. You won't hurt this recipe by trying different things. You will just create new and delicious variations.

1 1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or water
3/4 cup(s) uncooked quinoa, * (wash it)
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp orange marmalade
2 tsp dark sesame oil
1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup(s) sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
1 cup(s) shredded carrots
1 cup(s) shredded red cabbage
1 small sweet red pepper(s), thinly sliced
3 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
2 Tbsp scallion(s), thinly sliced
1 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

In a small saucepan, combine broth and quinoa; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, marmalade, oil, ginger and salt; set aside.
After quinoa has cooked for 10 minutes, toss in snap peas to partially steam them; cover and simmer until most of liquid has been absorbed, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove pan from heat and stir in carrots, cabbage, peppers and dressing; mix to thoroughly combine. Garnish with cilantro, scallions and sesame seeds. Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.

Thanks for this recipe, sounds delicious. Sorry to sound naive but what is cilantro? All the other ingredients I will be able to get hold of so might try this tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it!

:)

Sorry, I just realized you are in the UK. I believe you know cilantro as coriander or coriander leaf. It is the green leaf that looks like flat leaf parsley that some people love and others think tastes like soap. i happen to love the stuff, but for those that don't you can just omit it from this recipe all together. I bet replacing it with mint would be an interesting way to go, but you don't even have to replace it with anything if you don't want.

Yes or you could maybe use fresh flat-leaf parsley because the green is colorful not to mention healty. I'm excited to try this recipe GB. I learned here at DC that the Quinoa should be rinsed first to eliminate the bitter taste. I haven't had it since I learned that so I'm anxious to try it. And all your ingredients sound like a perfect blend of flavors. Thank you :)

Yes flat leaf parsley would work great. It is a very colorful dish and had green from the peas. The cilantro or parsley or mint would add an additional shade of green. my kids loved looking at it because it was so colorful. Getting them to eat it was a different story though :LOL:

Yes or you could maybe use fresh flat-leaf parsley because the green is colorful not to mention healty. I'm excited to try this recipe GB. I learned here at DC that the Quinoa should be rinsed first to eliminate the bitter taste. I haven't had it since I learned that so I'm anxious to try it. And all your ingredients sound like a perfect blend of flavors. Thank you :)

Sometimes Quinoa is sold pre-rinsed and you don't need to rinse it. I usually rinse it anyway even if it has been pre-rinsed. When you first rinse Quinoa you will see bubbles. When the bubbles go away then it is rinsed enough.

Hi Sammy! I'm new, too, and have a couple of lovely quinoa recipes from our family's recipe archives. here we go, then..

Mango and black bean quinoa salad

Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa
1 large mango (stoned, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces)
1 red bell pepper (cut into bit sized pieces)
1 cup black beans (rinsed)
1 jalapeño pepper (chopped)
1 green onion (sliced)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lime (juice and zest)
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Cook the quinoa as directed on the package.
2. Mix the quinoa, mango, red bell pepper, black beans, jalapeño, green onion, and cilantro in a bowl.
3. Mix the olive oil, lime juice and zest, cumin, salt and pepper in another bowl.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.

Corn and black bean quinoa salad - very pretty on the plate. :)

Ingredients:
1 cup red quinoa
2 cups water
1 cup black beans
1 ear corn (grilled and kernels cut from cob)
half a red pepper (sliced)
1 jalapeno pepper (sliced)
1 green onion (sliced)
one quarter cup cilantro (chopped)
1 tablespoon oil
1 lime (juice)
1 chipotle in adobo sauce (chopped)
1 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste

1. Simmer the quinoa in the water until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Mix the quinoa, black beans, corn, red pepper, jalapeno, green onion, and cilantro in a large bowl.
3. Mix the oil, lime juice, chipotle in adobo sauce, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
4. Toss the salad in the dressing.

I know this is an older post, but no one seems to have said this. My only encounter with Quinoa was years ago at a relative's. I seem to remember it being served plain. What made it so WOW was that she toasted it in a dry frying pan first just like you do with nuts. It was extremely tasty. Let us know if you try this and your reaction.

Back
Top Bottom