Raw baby beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I got to pull about 8 baby beets (about 1 to 1-1/2 inch dia.) today. We grated those, added slices of fresh red onion, lime-infused olive oil, basalmic vinegar, juice from one small lime, more "plain" olive oil, freshly ground black pepper, and sea salt. With a small grilled tenderloin steak each, and swiss chard and beet greens sauteed in butter, S&P, and freshly grated parmesan on top, the raw beet "slaw" hit the spot for supper (lunch for my DH) before we left for NY. What is your favorite way to eat raw beets? A friend of mine likes to add grated apple, but we didn't have any apples.

isn't raw beet kind of grassy? even after roasting for an hour, the grassiness is still there. I can only eat it pickled and in soup

Grassy? I've never thought of beets as grassy. I love fresh beet juice...and love them anyway I've eaten them--in Borscht, pickled, freshly grated, juiced, roasted, boiled...my mom always has to have lemon juice on her beets, perhaps that would neutralize the "grassy" flavor. Interesting.

I'm waiting for the golden beets to be ready...they went in after the red beets. Do you powder the bay leaf or do you remove it before serving? I use fresh bay (my bay tree is doing wonderfully! It has sent out so many new leaves, it is really amazing).

Attachments

• picnic 006.jpg
    picnic 006.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 215
I'm waiting for the golden beets to be ready...they went in after the red beets. Do you powder the bay leaf or do you remove it before serving? I use fresh bay (my bay tree is doing wonderfully! It has sent out so many new leaves, it is really amazing).
We gently heat the marinade and remove the bay leaf before serving or while eating. The golden beets we already had this year were not sweet and 'beety' enough to my taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom