Realemon vs.... Real Lemons...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoGreyhounds

Assistant Cook
When using lemon juice in dishes, will I notice a difference if I use "pre made" lemon juice from a bottle vs squeezing the juice right out of a lemon? I've always used a lemon, but I'll be off to school in a few weeks where lemons are not as easy to come by...

where i went to school we didnt use anything from a bottle.. unless you are making a big batch of something ALWAYS use fresh..

Will you notice a difference? Absolutely. There is a HUGE difference between real fresh lemons and bottled lemon juice. It is like the difference between real whipped cream and whipped cream out of a can.

GoGreyhounds,

If I read between the lines, it seems like you are going away to school and will be in a "dorm" situation that doesn't easily lend itself to keeping a lot of fresh produce on hand.

If this is the case, then certainly Real Lemon would be an acceptable substitute. It may not be as good but would probably be better than nothing.

I think GrillingFool's suggestion is a great one. Each person will think something different. For 40 caliber he would prefer the bottled stuff over nothing. For me, I would prefer eating a different meal that does not have lemon if I can't get the real thing. Both of us are correct for our own tastes. The answer for you will be just as personal. Buy a bottle and make something with it and you should know right away if it is something you will want to continue using or if you should look for alternatives.

Big difference! Compared to fresh squeezed, the bottled stuff tastes alarmingly rancid. And a little acidic perk complements so many (almost all) dishes. So, lemons is one of the few perishables I can't go without in my pantry. Having said that, yes, I do keep a bottle of Realemon in my frig for emergencies.

1. adopt more reasons for gotta have a supply, like tea
2. alternative acids, starting with apple cider vinegar
3. check your grocer - small bottles of fresh squeezed lemon juice, not made from concentrate, have been showing up at some of my nearby markets.

Good point on finding more things to use lemon in. Guess I'll stick with actual lemons. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom