Recipe adaptation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaela31

Assistant Cook
I've got a recipe for a sausage tray bake that says to bake at 190 for 45mins
If I want to wrap streaky bacon around my sausages do I need to adjust the cooking time/temp?
Anyone done this?

It should all cook through in that time but the bacon may not be as crispy as you like it.

I wrap bacon around an anaheim pepper stuffed with a cream cheese mixture and take them out of the freezer and they go into the oven.
This might help you.
To get the bacon crisp, it takes 45 minutes in a 400 degree F oven.
OR
To get the bacon crisp, it takes 1 and 1/4 hour (75 minutes) in a 350 degree F oven.

190 degrees C is about a 374 degree F oven.
If you are starting from room temperature food, into the oven, the bacon may be just right at 45 minutes. It will take a little longer or having the heat a little higher if you are starting to bake while the food is frozen. I'd watch it and see.

Often, if I'm cooking something in the oven that involves bacon, I'll partially cook the bacon in a frying pan first. You don't want to fry it crisp. Just enough to render off some of the fat. It will then be more likely to finish cooking and crisp up in the oven.

I've done this with both bacon wrapped tenderloins and jalapeno poppers, and it works great.

Often, if I'm cooking something in the oven that involves bacon, I'll partially cook the bacon in a frying pan first. You don't want to fry it crisp. Just enough to render off some of the fat. It will then be more likely to finish cooking and crisp up in the oven.

I've done this with both bacon wrapped tenderloins and jalapeno poppers, and it works great.

+1... works for me also...

Ross

I'd pre-cook the bacon so that it is cooked but still pliable enough to wrap around the sausage. Then the bacon and sausage will be done at the same time. That's how I make Whistle Pigs.

4th-ojf-july-2013-042-1068x801.jpg

I simmer my bacon in a little water about 3-5 min before wrapping anything that way it cooks and crisp up a lot better.
Example: I make jalapeno poppers and little cocktail wieners wrapped in bacon as these don't take long to cook but the bacon takes longer.

I simmer my bacon in a little water about 3-5 min before wrapping anything that way it cooks and crisp up a lot better.
Example: I make jalapeno poppers and little cocktail wieners wrapped in bacon as these don't take long to cook but the bacon takes longer.

Interesting.. I'd not seen that done before.. I will try it... :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom