Recommend a Cookbook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this cookbook for a beginner, experienced cook, somewhere in-between, or maybe for a child? What sort of cooking? Savory, pastry, some ethnicity?
A bit more detail would be helpful.
Although my all time favorite will always be my jillion year old Betty Crocker cookbook.

A Treasury of Christmas.......if you can find it. I borrowed it from a friend about 10 year ago and have been looking for it since. I ordered a smaller version (didn't realize that when I ordered but haven't found the 'big one' which as close to 400 pages if I remeber correctly. It is a compilation of recipes utiliing brand name products (Hershy, Nabisco, etc). It had all different types foods (dessert, entrees, appetizers, etc). The illustrations where beautiful and the recipes great. Of course you can substitue different brands than the ones suggested if you wish. I think I saw it on Boarders website once but it was temporarily out of stock. I'm going to look around the web for it now, since I'm thinking of it........

Actually I decided look and FOUND it!!!!!! Google this number (0785376054) or search for it on eBay. Saw several copies doing both. I already ordered mine. Thanks for the reminder and I'll be getting it right before the holidays. (and I was wrong it is almost 600 pages and has 750 recipes)

Since I have over 1000 cookbooks, I had to pick two for "if you can't find it here...", however, the 'net is a great source. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my library--any takers?

The Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It was the very first cookbook to feature ingredient measurements, and you'll find a recipe just about anything you've ever eaten previously in your life in that book.

:)Hi, I just want to thank everyone for their suggestions so far. I'm going to get stuck in to some of these books now!

I had the same question but didn't want to make another post so I'll just thank you all here.
Thanks for all the recommended cook books, I have a lot to look through. Now all I have to do is order the books themselves.

I agree with Hammster...If you want ultimate in cookbook's....technique and precision.."Mastering the Art of French Cooking"...By The Amazing Julia Child...But to Americanize good cooking...go with "The Joy of Cooking"...It is an amazing cook book...The authors illustrate and walk you through the steps of every recipe...The book to get!

I have had a betty crocker for 45 yrs and with all the cook books out there I always go to that one first and never failed me yet. I should think about a new one. the cover is barely on it. I have so many notes and paper clips. etc.
My first one I was given when I was 8 or 9 It was a betty crocker for children. I still have it also. Then for a bday present when I was 12 got the big book . It didn't take much to make me happy. I think all my siblings were happy to as they new I would be trying out new recipes.

Last edited:
What about Jacques pepins 700 recipe cookbook?

I have that one, it is good, but not one of my "go to" cookbooks. I also like Junior League Cookbooks because they give you a window into regional cooking, but that would assume you have mastered basics of cooking. I have my B&G cookbook on the floor beside me (I tend to file things on the floor until I'm done) because I wanted to look up how shirred eggs are made--oven version of coddled eggs was my thought--have no idea where my egg coddler thingies are...must be in one of the boxes at the other house...they aren't here at the farm...how many sleeps until May 1st and we take possession of that house back where I have all that stuff stored in the outbuildings? Not that I'm counting...I have many friends who rely on the Joy of Cooking for everything and then check the Internet for confirmation/twists on the TNT recipes in the JoC.

Last edited:
Since I have over 1000 cookbooks, I had to pick two for "if you can't find it here...", however, the 'net is a great source. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of my library--any takers?

Are you serious??

The Joy of Cooking is good and I there's another that has fairly simple recipes that I can't think of the title right now.

The Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It was the very first cookbook to feature ingredient measurements, and you'll find a recipe just about anything you've ever eaten previously in your life in that book.

Fanny Farmer is really good too. I ordered one a couple of months ago, it was an older one. I was a little disapointed it didn't have any pictures but it has some great recipes.

The Silver Spoon from Phaidon Press (Google it for several sellers, including Amazon). With 2000 recipes on 1199 pages, it's a well organized bible of Italian cooking, first published in English in 2005. It's been Italy's best selling cookbook for more than 50 years. It includes everything from classic sauces to savory soups, meats, fish and poultry to all sorts of veggies, pasta dishes and desserts.

I've had it for 4 years now and I've barely scratched the surface. Every time I randomly open to a new page there are 2 or 3 different and delicious recipes to try. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom