Refrigerate French toast prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently tried the refrigerator method. I was doing a cassarole and did a lot of research as to the benefits of refrigeration. Apparently if you refrigerate just the egg and milk part it helps it to get creamer, and develops a custard-like way. When I did the cassarole, the bread soaked up the egg mixture and came out fluffy and moist. I was sure it would be wet and gluey but it was wonderful. I think it all depends on how much time you want to put into it, how much egg you want absorbed, and if you refrigerate just the egg mix, you can strain it to get all the junky stringy bits out. Check out food tv Alton Brown does a really good job about explaining french toast and refrigeration.

betterthanabox...that makes sense really. I'm going to give that a try. Now if i can just be alert enough at night to remember to do it.

princess...alix's recipe sounds delicious. I have a recipe for a Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake served with a Blueberry Mint Compote and Creme Anglaise that is to die for...do I feel another throw-down coming on? lol

I recently tried the refrigerator method. I was doing a cassarole and did a lot of research as to the benefits of refrigeration. Apparently if you refrigerate just the egg and milk part it helps it to get creamer, and develops a custard-like way. When I did the cassarole, the bread soaked up the egg mixture and came out fluffy and moist. I was sure it would be wet and gluey but it was wonderful.

Exactly what I found too, Box.......fluffy and moist and custard-like. Didn't turn out that way when I made, and cooked the casserole two hrs later.

princess...alix's recipe sounds delicious. I have a recipe for a Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake served with a Blueberry Mint Compote and Creme Anglaise that is to die for...do I feel another throw-down coming on? lol

You know, I've never had Meyer Lemons...same problem, they don't migrate that often to Montana. :LOL: How about making me one and I'll let you know.:pig:

OMG Mollyanne.........give it up right now!!
I have a recipe for a Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake served with a Blueberry Mint Compote and Creme Anglaise that is to die for.
My Meyer lemon tree is about to give me at least a dozen ripe lemons!! I gotta have that recipe!!!!!!!! Please don't torture me!!

PF, they are just wonderful. Give me your addy by pm and I'll mail you some. I think that's legal.

Last edited:
OMG Mollyanne.........give it up right now!!My Meyer lemon tree is about to give me at least a dozen ripe lemons!! I gotta have that recipe!!!!!!!! Please don't torture me!!

PF, they are just wonderful. Give me your addy by pm and I'll mail you some. I think that's legal.

Pm'ing now!:pig: Thank you!:w00t2::heart:

Last edited:
OMG Mollyanne.........give it up right now!!My Meyer lemon tree is about to give me at least a dozen ripe lemons!! I gotta have that recipe!!!!!!!! Please don't torture me!!
:LOL: Okay, okay :rolleyes:. I think I get the message.
I'll post it straight away in the desserts-cakes category.
Just give me a sec...phew, glad I saw this in time. Hold on.

I think that's the first time you used my whole name. You really must mean business!

I'm so jealous. A meyer lemon tree...oh I wish.
Our Trader Joe's has them right now but I don't
know how long that will last.

My Mom's French toast was eggs & milk, a little bit of sugar, salt & pepper, and a couple tablespoons of flour, not mixed well leaving the flour kind of floating in the egg. We'd dip it just enough to get the outside wet - don't like it custardy inside - and fry it in Crisco to get it crispy as possible. No fridge involved.

I love it with syrup & butter; my late husband didn't want it sweet, just salt & pepper.

I never refrigerate my "french toast" before cooking it, it's way better hot :p

I've seen it where the intent is to make a casserole of french toast and other ingredients. It almost like a strata.

Yet another idea...

OK...here is another one. I love this french toast. First make cinnamon rolls. Now when they are cool, and perhaps a day old (if there are any left), slice them up and make french toast with them. You don't even have to add the cinnamon and vanilla to the egg mixture on that one.
OH I think I am inching ahead. :LOL:

OK...here is another one. I love this french toast. First make cinnamon rolls. Now when they are cool, and perhaps a day old (if there are any left), slice them up and make french toast with them. You don't even have to add the cinnamon and vanilla to the egg mixture on that one.
OH I think I am inching ahead. :LOL:

Oh, boy - does that ever sound good! Like for a holiday morning.:)

First of all, I have to try the cinnamon roll thing. That sounds amazing!! Second, are you supposed to refrigerate the bread soaking in the egg mixture, or dip the bread then refrigerate?? I've never heard of such a thing, so I'm not sure

If cooked properly, french toast that has been soaked overnight is absolutely the most fluffy, delicious french toast ever made. You can't grill it on high heat, it has to come up to temperature slowly and the inside just fluffs up and cooks through - it's not soggy nor is any batter left uncooked. I use it with whole wheat bread and it makes a regular slice of ww bread puff up to something that looks almost gourmet. The flavors get together and just... yum. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I've had french toast just dredged and cooked and I've had it soaked, and I'll go for soaked every time. ;)

I used to make Pineapple Upside Down French Toast for my breakfast buffet. Basically, you melt some butter and disolve some brown sugar in it, add pineapple, then put in your french toast on top of it, cover and bake it. I suppose you could do it with other fruit if you preferred.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance but when you soak the french toast overnight do you then fry it on a griddle? Isn't it a little difficult to get it onto the griddle without it tearing apart? Or do you bake it? I have seen this done on the tube but it strikes me that french toast made that way is just really bread pudding?

Back
Top Bottom