Replacing shrimp with scallops risotto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not familiar with your recipe, but I would caution you to be very careful with the seafood. Don't overcook it. Probably you would be best to put it in just a short time before you want to eat it. And yes, you can add or sub whatever you like.

Risotto in a slow cooker? That doesn't sound possible to me. I'm an oldfashioned girl though. Risotto is done the hard way around here.

I'm not familiar with your recipe, but I would caution you to be very careful with the seafood. Don't overcook it. Probably you would be best to put it in just a short time before you want to eat it. And yes, you can add or sub whatever you like.

Risotto in a slow cooker? That doesn't sound possible to me. I'm an oldfashioned girl though. Risotto is done the hard way around here.
Thank you Alix, the cook book I've purchased is called Italian cooking then on the second line it says slow cooker recipes inside.

I'm with you here. I can't imagine how risotto could be successful in a crockpot. The whole point of open-cooking it is maximum concentration of cooking liquid flavor - much the same philosophy as a paella.

To address the original question:

Yes, scallops can be substituted for shrimp, but you must be very careful to adjust your timing of adding them. Up for sea scallops (which are larger and denser than most shrimp and will require slightly longer cook time) or down for bay scallops (which are much smaller and hence will require less cooking time)

This is ESPECIALLY important if you're preparing a dish in a crockpot, regardless of what dish it is (and whether I agree with using a crockpot to prepare it or not :LOL:) because crockpot cooking times are dramatically different due to the nature of the cooking process.

I'm with you here. I can't imagine how risotto could be successful in a crockpot. The whole point of open-cooking it is maximum concentration of cooking liquid flavor - much the same philosophy as a paella.

To address the original question:

Yes, scallops can be substituted for shrimp, but you must be very careful to adjust your timing of adding them. Up for sea scallops (which are larger and denser than most shrimp and will require slightly longer cook time) or down for bay scallops (which are much smaller and hence will require less cooking time)

This is ESPECIALLY important if you're preparing a dish in a crockpot, regardless of what dish it is (and whether I agree with using a crockpot to prepare it or not :LOL:) because crockpot cooking times are dramatically different due to the nature of the cooking process.
Thank you Metal, I should post the recipe from the book to show you folks.

A little PS:

Careful where you get your scallops. Straight off the boat is best bet, but the farther away you get from the boat, the more likely your "scallops" aren't scallops at all, but rather ring-cut fluke or other "undesirable" fish. I've witnessed with my own eyes young illegal immigrant girls cutting "scallops" at seafood processing plants.

Easiest way to discern at the market: If the scallops are all seemingly uniform in shape and size (this happens a LOT with bay scallops) then you're probably looking at overpriced crappy fish, not scallops.

In general, cooking rice in broth is always tasty, especially when you finish it with parmesan.

I'm just a stubborn traditionalist when it comes to risotto - add only enough liquid to cover, do it in doses, DON'T cover it, let it cook until it soaks it all up, lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm with those who say if it is made in a crockpot, no matter how good it tastes, it isn't rissoto. Call it a pilaf instead. I, personally, would sautee or sear the scallops at the last minute, not cook them in a crock pot. They are not cheap, and being left in the slow cooker for the time it takes to cook rice would turn them into hockey pucks (actually it would do the same with shrimp, but am more tolerant of rubbery shrimp than the more expensive scallops).

I often make seafood risotto (albeit never in a slow cooker) and I never cook the seafood with the rice at all. A bit of clam juice or seafood stock adds the briny flavor to the rice, and I sear the (usually) shrimp and scallops separately in a sauté pan and top the risotto with them.

No cheese in seafood risotto..... not ever. browned crumbs for a topping, if you like.

Cook the fish separate, once you brown, or bake the fish take the pan and deglace with some white whine or fish stock, use this in the risotto for extra flavor

Back
Top Bottom