Reviving Stale crackers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I bought a box of saltine crackers and brought them home in put in the freezer. I had not ever done that before , but someone told me you can do it and it keeps them fresh. When I opened them up they are not real crisp. I don't want to throw them out,but what can I do to crisp them up again. I think I read you could freshen them up in the dehydrator. I have also read you can put in oven, but not sure at what temp and how long.

I'm sure someone can come up with an answer.;) You always do. Thanks, Faye

Miss Faye..I would just put them on a cookie sheet....pop them in a 200* or so oven....and just try one every now and then. You'll know when they are like you want them.....

Have Fun!!

I think for eating I would just get new crackers.... save the stale for a meatloaf or something.

maybe a noobie question... but why use stale crackers for meatloaf instead of crisp? it is a preference thing?

The crackers are for bulk and as a binder - they will be mixed with moist ingredients and will not be crisp once mixed with the other ingredients or baked. A good use for crackers that have lost their crispness.

Miss Faye..I would just put them on a cookie sheet....pop them in a 200* or so oven....and just try one every now and then. You'll know when they are like you want them.....

Have Fun!!
This was more on the line of what I was thinking. I know I have read about doing this in the oven. Also, do any of you put cookies,crackers in the freezer when you buy them. This was the first time I had done this. My SIL says she does it all of the time.

Miss Faye....The wife sometimes puts homemade cookies in the freezer....Tightly sealed in a Zip Lock....They do fine for short periods of time....I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with say a 1/2 Bag of --- Chips Ahoy. We've never put crackers in the freezer...Opening only 1 sleeve at a time, they usually stay fresh until they are gone...

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom