Roast potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pontypool

Assistant Cook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wx__fEyDj0

These were the best roast potatoes I've done (so far) but still not as crispy as my mother does them.
The only mistake (maybe) I made was to add the baking soda (which by the way I think we call bicarbonate soda) and salt when the water was cold then boiled it then added the potatoes.
Possibly I also made a mistake how much to parboil them. I really didn't want to over boil them as I've made thar mistake before and they all broke up into pieces when I tossed them gently.
While I did them for 10 minutes, in my opinion they didn't seem very beat up around the surface. Although when I tossed them around in the colander they did get beat up quite well..

Some other notes.
1. I've seen other recipes call for using flour before you add them to the oven.
2. I've heard goose fat is the best for roasties not olive oil
3. My thoughts was that there seemed to be a puddle of oil which had collected on the baking tray.could this be responsible for them still herriot too soft?

Would appreciate any help as I've made numerous attempts to get them as I want them, which is crispy with a bit of a crunch all over while being soft and fluffy inside.

Last edited:
Looks yummy...
It's total lockdown here due to Coronavirus, so thank you for such recipes.
Gonna try it today.

I cut potatoes in very large bite size chunks, steam them, not boil, as they won't absorb as much water that way, for maybe 7-10 minutes, then lay them out on paper towels to dry some. After that, line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil, place the potatoes on it, salt, pepper, and either EVOO or barely melted duck fat, toss with my hands to coat well, then into a 375 oven until they get nice and crisp, stirring and flipping from time to time. It usually takes about 30 minutes, but varies depending on water content in potatoes.

I learned this method in 1999 at a banquet held in a Borgia palace in Rome, some of the best potatoes I had ever had, so had to ask the chef how they were cooked. They used EVOO, but duck fat is good as well.

I could never get my roast potatoes tasting good and crispy. It was other one or the other! If i cooked the potatoes in the same pan as the meat, i would get a spoon and smother the potatoes in the the excess fat! They would taste gorgeous, but would never be crispy!

If i cooked the potatoes separately and used goose fat, they would be crispy but bland!

What are your preferred herbs and other toppings?

Go with your gut and your mood.

But, typically I use garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, paprika, sometimes dry mustard, black pepper

You can do steak spice but I don’t cook with much salt with all that flavour you don’t need it imo.

If you watch his shows I think he may do a curried one which I’ve never made good so I avoid them but your call.

For these we boil and also a hack is dump all the herbs and some oil in a big ziplock add potatoes seal and shake and rub it costs everything nicely then we roast them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom