Roasting veggies with turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keepitlow

Assistant Cook

If I wish to roast some whole potatoes and large carrots with my turkey. Should I add them the last hour of cooking around the turkey? Am not sure of the time they need.

Thanks.

If you are going to roast them whole, it will depend upon the size of the veg's and also the temperature of the oven. Most turkeys are roasted at 325 - 350 degrees. If that is what your doing I think it may take about an hour plus some of the time while the turkey is resting after it comes out of the oven. After an hour, you'd have to check them every 10 mins or so for doneness.

Thanks.

Am using med baking potatoes and large whole carrots about 3 inches cut size (Diameter is about 2 inches by 1 inch) . .

Why are the birds roasted at low temps? Does it hurt to roast them at 400 or so? Or is slow roasting best?

The idea is to cook the turkey to 165 degrees internally without burning the skin. I think cooking on high heat could result in a dry bird. Not sure of that, though. Anyone else have a
suggestion?

The idea is to cook the turkey to 165 degrees internally without burning the skin. I think cooking on high heat could result in a dry bird. Not sure of that, though. Anyone else have a
suggestion?

My usual MO is start the bird off at 375 then run out of time and crank the bird up to 450 to finish it ASAP.

Bird comes out OK, but never have finished a bird at low temps. Would be nice to try a low temp roasted bird... if I could get an early start.

I usually underestimate how long I should roast veggies for. Plus being next to the bird, they will cook a little more slowly than if they were along in a pan, plus at a lower temp to begin with. I'd up it some, though you do have turkey resting and carving time to add on, so maybe an hour plus that is okay. IMO too the cooked veggies will hold fairly well, whereas being undercooked is not too great.

And yeah, cooking a roast or a bird at too high a temp is going to overcook the outside/outer parts before the inside is to temp. Though I do like the method I saw on Alton Brown's show, where he started the turkey off at 500* for half and hour, then lowered it to normal. The effect was to basically sear the turkey, to seal in as much juice as possible right off the bat. Though I also saw the opposite method on allrecipes for chicken, roasting it at something like 200* for something like 5 hours (don't know if it would work safely for something as big as a turkey).

Back
Top Bottom