Salads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
Hi all Americans,

Would someone please tell a dumb Brit how you eat salads?

I mean, do you eat the salad before, during, or after a main dish? Or do you even eat it as a main dish?

We Brits usually treat a salad as a main dish and have a starter first, and a sweet (desert to you) after.

Kind regards to all,

Advoca.

Hi, Advoca. There might be regional differences to this, but we generally have the salad first as a starter, especially in restaurants, then have the main dish. As a starter, the salad will have greens, veggies, sometimes cheese, and a dressing. We also have main-dish salads, which are usually larger and often have a meat protein in it, to make it more substantial.

Sometimes, especially in restaurants, people will have an appetizer (starter) and in many places, the salad comes with the meal; sometimes it's available separately. My DH and I rarely have dessert, at home or out, although lately I've been having a small bowl of ice cream an hour or so after dinner.

Hope that answers your question.

as one of these "dumb Brits"
it all depends what I`m serving, if it`s a pasta or rice dish (with juices) then the salad will be in its own bowl.
if it`s BBQ then it`ll go on the same plate as a help yourself.

Depends, if there is an app, the salad generally comes next. But at times we make a salad the meal. don't serve it after the main however.

auntdot said:
Depends, if there is an app, the salad generally comes next. But at times we make a salad the meal. don't serve it after the main however.
:) I think the french eat their salad after the main.

We serve our salad either as the first course or as the main meal is being served. Sort of like a side dish. Most of us like to finish with salad in our house.

I'm with YT, sometimes on the same plate and sometimes it's own lovely bowl. Usually a salad comes first in US restaurants, then the main meal.

I eat salads for lunch almost daily, mostly rocket with veggies or tofu.

In the good ole USA we eat salad before the main course but if you are a Frenchy you eat your salad after the main course. but there are thousands of main course salads that are just great as is

Growing up in an Italian family, we always eat it after the main course. Usually, right on the emptied plate.

Now, if it's a more substantial type of salad, with cheese or fruit, I will serve it before the entree. But just lettuce, tomato, onion, and other vegs goes at the end of the meal. Nothing other than oil and vinegar, too.

It depends on the type of salad. A basic mixed green or vegetable salad I serve as a starter or as a side dish to the main meal; an entree-type salad, like a Chef's, Cobb, Seafood, Chicken, etc., would be served on it's own as the main meal.

It depends on how far off my timing is for the meal. If the main dish is taking longer than I planned or one of the sides isn't quite done, I will serve the salad first and alone in salad bowls. If things are all done at the same time, I have the salad at the table with the rest of the meal. I almost always use bowls because some of the kids still don't like their food to "touch". Of course, sometimes we have a large salad that is the main dish. But now that ya'll mentioned it, when I was in France, salad was always served after the main course. And I actually like that a lot at the time. It seemed to clear the palate for the glorious dessert and coffee that were coming. Maybe I'll try this at home on the nights we have dessert.

When dining out salad is served first. I try to save mine for my meal but wait staff often want to take it away! I understand why. When eating at home (especially with red sauces) I like it on the same plate. My dh, however, always insists on a separate salad plate and eats it first.

I grew up in an Italian family and our salad was served as VeraBlue stated. I didn't even know there was such a thing as all these fancy dressings since ours was always oil and vinegar. I do like the old standby best but do enjoy some of the creamy types now that I am all grown up.

Back
Top Bottom