Salt Iodized verses Non-Iodized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, my personal blind taste test is complete. The test results are:

Side by side pure salt...I could tell no difference.
On a plain poached egg....I could tell no difference.
On plain boiled potato...I could tell no difference.
On plain broiled fish....I could tell no difference.

Scientific results:ermm: I can't taste the differerence.

I must totally agree with Michael however, There are so many factors (all different) that effect our taste buds over time that it would be a hard call to definitively say one way or the other for the general population. Obviously, there are those who can detect a difference. I'm just not in that group! It was a fun little test however!! I can however taste how delicious this Wild Turkey American Honey that I am sipping on is...It is soooo good!!:rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, bless you for your scientific endeavors. Like you, I tried my own tests tonight, but I was not as vigilant as you. I tasted each in my hand:

Hand test of salt: Iodized versus Plain = No difference detected

I stopped there. I figured if I couldn’t tell a difference with pure salt in my hand, then the other flavors of food would certainly complicate matters.

So, for those that can taste a difference, maybe you guys are what is known as “super tasters”? Don’t know, but as I said before, and Michael reiterated, there are many factors that make our taste buds different and thus makes taste a subjective matter.

But you’re right UB, it was fun. I actually am a “salt” person and prefer salty over sweet, so this was enjoyable for me. My tongue my disagree tomorrow though! :LOL:

I just did the "keltin" test and only tasted the salt with nothing else. I had my wife help me. We took some kosher salt and ground it up in the mortar and pestal. Then we did the same with iodized table salt. Two piles were made. She blindfolded me and put salt on a spoon and asked me which it was. We did this 6 times. I was able to pick out the iodized salt each time right away. (and no keltin, I am not a super taster)

Like UB and Michael both mentioned, it is going to be different for each person.

We all owe you a debt of gratitude, Uncle Bob! You've gone above and beyond, sacrificing yourself in the name of science. You deserve that Wild Turkey. (I'm really glad I'm not the only one who couldn't taste the difference.)

:ROFLMAO: Yep, I threw my body into the arena of science!! In all fairness however, I must state that Michael was talking about me..Quote.."age, alcohol, smoking (in the distant past) medications" can dull or enhance some taste perceptions" When you add to that copious amounts of Tabasco/Louisiana Hot Sauce, and cayenne pepper it's a wonder I can taste anything!!:LOL:

Have Fun!

Reading this thread has been very interesting. I'm not much of a salt person. Never have been. My father, a physician, told me I would have no trouble being on a salt-free diet. Although I do follow recipes and use salt as directed. Except, I usually add less in the beginning and add as necessary.

You sure? Don't sell yourself short, it seems you've got some rather sensitive taste buds there!
Positive. For instance, I have tasted salts that have other minerals in then that others say they can taste, but I can not taste them at all.

Positive. For instance, I have tasted salts that have other minerals in then that others say they can taste, but I can not taste them at all.

How interesting. Well, there is something there that makes you different from me, Uncle Bob, Fisher's Mom, and GotGarlic in this thread alone. I wonder what it is? Diet, physiology, environment? I'm doubting environment. Don't know, but it is interesting.

I think you are making it more complicated than it is. Each person is different for a million different reasons. A lot of people taste the iodine and a lot don't. There is not necessarily a single common factor.

I think you are making it more complicated than it is. Each person is different for a million different reasons. A lot of people taste the iodine and a lot don't. There is not necessarily a single common factor.
I'm not so sure, GB. Have you ever had any closer encounters of say........the third kind?

Slightly off topic. Iodine is trace element required by our bodies to ensure your thyroid works properly and is the treatment for hyperthyroid. It can be obtained in other ways, seaweed is one that springs straight to mind.

I have never looked for a difference and actually, I'm not sure I even knew that salt could come non-iodised. Sea salt may contained some iodine as iodine is found in sea water. Those are my rambling thoughts on the matter.
:)Seafood contains it good bit of iodine there is some thought that too much iodine causes acne to sensitive people rather than chocolate or greasy foods.But Im sure potato chips and alot of proccessed and fast foods have alot of salt that contains iodine

I can't be making it more "complicated" when you yourself know there are "a million different reasons". Don’t know about you, but when I have to do testing of things like de-rating a part based on environmental conditions, the more conditions that arise, the more complicated it gets. I typically deal with only 5 or so conditions for de-rating, and that alone can be complicated, but a million? :shock:

No sir, it seems YOU are making it too complicated for the casual glance.

Look, I tried to COMPLIMENT you and say that perhaps you have a gift (compliment!), maybe a “super taster”. But, you don’t want the compliment, fine, don’t take it, fight for an argument, but your math is flawed. Physiologically speaking, there aren’t that many answers for this phenomenon, and guess what, a few of the answers involve mental inclinations and psychosis.

Keltin you need to relax man. I was not fighting with you. I was simply saying that you are making something complicated (either you taste it or you don't) when it doesn't have to be. Lighten up man. You will live longer.

And I am not sure how saying someone is a super taster is a compliment. Quite honestly I am happy not to be one as they seem to dislike more tastes than normal tasters do.

Keltin you need to relax man. I was not fighting with you. I was simply saying that you are making something complicated (either you taste it or you don't) when it doesn't have to be. Lighten up man. You will live longer.

And I am not sure how saying someone is a super taster is a compliment. Quite honestly I am happy not to be one as they seem to dislike more tastes than normal tasters do.

:bounce: Uh....ok.......cool! I'm with you. :ninja:

I have used Kosher salt for years and when tasting sea salt I can detect a very different taste.. How ever when salt hits the soup or stew pot that taste vanish;s like the wind. After it is in the pot or on the meat it is apples to apples and oranges to oranges

Back
Top Bottom