Salt Iodized verses Non-Iodized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, I ask this because it came up in another forum I visit with people that aren't as cooking minded as those here. Someone said that Iodized salt has a completely different taste than non-Iodized. This is something I've never heard, nor have I ever noticed. Salt is salt when it comes to the table variety as far as I'm concerned.

Has anyone ever even heard someone say this? Do you think it's true? I'm curious to see if this was a one time thing or if others think it too. I found it odd, but it could just be something I've never encountered.

And, yes, I know cooking with sea and kosher is better. This is strictly taste of table salt.

It absolutely has a different taste. Iodized salt has a metallic taste that I really do not care for.

I've never noticed a difference, and I love salt. I sometimes use iodized salt in shakers and for some cooking and coarse sea salt at other times.

Would you believe that the Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal did a scientific survey to determine if there is a difference in taste, color, consistency, etc of pickled foods using iodized or non-iodized salt?!?! :ohmy::wacko:

According to their findings:

No statistically significant difference was found in the taste, colour or texture between pickles prepared using non-iodized salt and pickles prepared using iodized salt.

I’ve never compared the two, but will try to remember to do so tonight or this weekend. Interesting.

I've never noticed a difference, and I love salt. I sometimes use iodized salt in shakers and for some cooking and coarse sea salt at other times.

Same here. Never noticed any difference in taste. Iodine is a necessary nutrient that you have to get somewhere... might as well be something I use in the normal course of the day. I use mostly coarse (kosher) salt in cooking, some sea salt. My wife and I use Morton Lite salt for table salt, mostly for the reduced sodium. We started doing that as part of a diet plan, and just stayed with it.

Would you believe that the Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal did a scientific survey to determine if there is a difference in taste, color, consistency, etc of pickled foods using iodized or non-iodized salt?!?! :ohmy::wacko:

According to their findings:

No statistically significant difference was found in the taste, colour or texture between pickles prepared using non-iodized salt and pickles prepared using iodized salt.

I’ve never compared the two, but will try to remember to do so tonight or this weekend. Interesting.
the study is faulty in that they only tested pickles. the metallic taste will not be present in everything. In a pickle, where you have very heavy tastes it most likely will not matter at all, but in something with a more delicate taste it might be more prevalent.

try tasting the salt alone and see if you notice the metallic taste.

Actually many food scientists claim athat the taste difference between iodized salt, kosher salt and sea salt is imperceptable. There has been tons of research on this. Jeffrey Steingarten wrote about it in one of his books.

But I have to say that I believe that I can taste the "metallic" or "chemical" taste in iodized table salt. Either from the iodine or the anti-caking agents. I can taste the minerals in sea salt, too, or so I think.

Also, note that some brands of Kosher salt are iodized.

the study is faulty in that they only tested pickles.

It's not faulty for making pickles and pickled vegetables which is very prevalent in the area they conducted the test, Jordan. They set out to address this:

There have been some suggestions that iodized salt, when used in pickling, may affect the consistency of the pickles.

And it seems they took care of that. I would imagine pickling is a good judge of the situation since you use a lot of salt in that concoction and it sits for a long period of time. They made cucumber pickles, and in the recipes I’ve used for that, you use 1/4 cup of salt or more.

Either way, I’m gonna test it myself since I’m curious now. I'll try it plain in my hand, and on some meat, and perhaps in a liquid like soup, and also on veggies. Sounds like fun.

Good grief, how could you taste the qualitative differences in salt by tasting salted pickles? You've introduced so many other flavors into the equation that it would be impossible.

Good grief, how could you taste the qualitative differences in salt by tasting salted pickles? You've introduced so many other flavors into the equation that it would be impossible.

Oh for Pete’s sake, read the study. It was suggested there was a difference, and the study proved there wasn't. Is it the definitive answer to every use salt has? no. And who gives a rat's *** anyway, taste is subjective at best, and I'll be testing this on my own. Which will mean absolutely nothing since my taste buds are going to be different from yours. Anything else?

Long ago, I banned Iodized salt from my kitchen. I had always thought I had a sensitivity to salt, and didn't like to salt my food much. On a whim, I switched to Canning and Pickling salt, as it is pure sodium chloride, with no other addivitives. As soon as I tasted the difference, I realized that I had a sensitivity to Iodine, not sodium-chloride.

I can't tell the difference but I don't care for salt particularly. I started using non-iodized kosher salt thinking it might taste better to me but so far, I can't tell a difference.

Ok, now I am curious. I've just always bought Iodized for the Iodine..never thought about a taste difference. So I will do a "blind" taste test on the salt alone. Later, on two poached eggs...one with Iodized one with Non-Iodized. I will report the scientific, and conclusive findings here! :LOL:

Slightly off topic. Iodine is trace element required by our bodies to ensure your thyroid works properly and is the treatment for hyperthyroid. It can be obtained in other ways, seaweed is one that springs straight to mind.

I have never looked for a difference and actually, I'm not sure I even knew that salt could come non-iodised. Sea salt may contained some iodine as iodine is found in sea water. Those are my rambling thoughts on the matter.

Not everybody's taste buds detect the same things in the same way as other people's ... and age, alcohol, smoking and medications can definitely dull or enhance some taste perceptions. So, yes - it is possible for some people to taste the iodine while others don't.

It's been so long since I've used iodized salt that I really can not remember if I noticed any difference in taste. However, I do know that whenever I scrubbed in, or prepped a patient, with Betadine the smell always gave me a funny taste in my mouth.

Well, my personal blind taste test is complete. The test results are:

Side by side pure salt...I could tell no difference.
On a plain poached egg....I could tell no difference.
On plain boiled potato...I could tell no difference.
On plain broiled fish....I could tell no difference.

Scientific results:ermm: I can't taste the differerence.

I must totally agree with Michael however, There are so many factors (all different) that effect our taste buds over time that it would be a hard call to definitively say one way or the other for the general population. Obviously, there are those who can detect a difference. I'm just not in that group! It was a fun little test however!! I can however taste how delicious this Wild Turkey American Honey that I am sipping on is...It is soooo good!!:rolleyes:

Enjoy!

We all owe you a debt of gratitude, Uncle Bob! You've gone above and beyond, sacrificing yourself in the name of science. You deserve that Wild Turkey. (I'm really glad I'm not the only one who couldn't taste the difference.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom