Salts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

princess_fs

Assistant Cook
I have an article at home (but I'm at work right now) that I haven't had a chance to read yet on the different varieties of salt.

I'm not allowed salt because of my heart and I used to just pour it on my hand and lick it off as a kid....I love salt.

Can you tell me briefly, the differences in these new gourmet salts that are coming out and which ones would be safe for me to use.

thanks

Sorry, but they are still salt. I have several in my cabinet that I got from the Gourmet Food Show in New York. One is smokey, one is a gray salt, one is a black salt, red salt - and while they do taste different they all have one thing in common - they are salt!

I was on a restricted salt diet and still am fairly careful.

The roasted vegetables I mentioned in our other post will be great without salt too. You will be amazed at the flavor they have.

I don't know if the salt substitutes are any better nowadays (30 years ago the one and only brand was horrible! LOL) Roasting and carmelizing brings out so much flavor that salt should not be an issue if you haven't been using it anyway. Instead of just sauteeing your onions try carmelizing them - instead of onions use shallots for a change of flavor - build on the vegetables/fruits natural flavors.

What kinds of things do you cook now? And how do you cook them? Just curious :roll:

heck, I used to cook and bake everything with the exception of yeasts breads....never worked well for me.

I'm having to reenter cooking and baking into my newest relationship (of 4 years now)...when I met him, his cabinets were stocked with tuna/hamburger helper, mac & cheese with chili, jeno's pizzas in the freezer and Pepsi's and milk in the fridge.....he did not cook for himself, at all, and would constantly go out to eat...mostly fast food joints.

I enjoy going to the vege section of the grocers, pick out just about any type of vegies (about 10 different things), saute them in olive oil for about 15-20 minutes, add some mushrooms and about 1/2 cup chunky tomato sauce and serve over pasta or rice.

Right now I'm trying to introduce him to more foods (forgot, he can actually cook one Thai dish consisting of chicken, oyster sauce and 1/2 head lettuce and served over rice). That's why I've been looking for a salmon patty recipe that I grew up on, but I didn't cook it and my mother didn't have a chance to show me how to do it over the xmas holiday before she left to go back home. I've found a few different ones, but haven't decided on what I "thought" it was made as a kid. I know my fiance will eat this, if nothing else, he can smother the salmon taste with the mashed potatoes and creamed corn...LOL!

I like making English Muffin bread because there's no yeast involved. After the holiday dinners are put away, I cook down the turkey or ham bones and pull off the meat and put the broth/meat mixture in freezer containers to eat throughout the cold months. then I get to cook up a new batch of ham broth because of the Easter ham.

I could go on and on and on... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom