Sauerbraten in Oktober or bust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
it's been many years since i've had a taste of authentic sauerbraten. i'd like to taste it again, but the five day project has me hesitating....has anyone made one of the quick and easy versions of sauerbraten? and if so, did it taste like the real thing, or at least somewhat close? i might just make red cabbage and go with a good, hearty pot roast, if this sauerbraten recipe doesn't pan out...oh, and what is the purpose of the gingersnaps i'm reading about? is this something new in the making of sauerbraten? our town can't seem to support a good german restaurant any more these days....:(

The gingersnaps are to thicken the gravy and add some extra flavor. Most of the old recipes do not use them. The recipes seem to vary around the country, like so many others. I have never made the quick ones but, I think the old long time ones are very good.

it's been many years since i've had a taste of authentic sauerbraten. i'd like to taste it again, but the five day project has me hesitating....has anyone made one of the quick and easy versions of sauerbraten? and if so, did it taste like the real thing, or at least somewhat close? i might just make red cabbage and go with a good, hearty pot roast, if this sauerbraten recipe doesn't pan out...oh, and what is the purpose of the gingersnaps i'm reading about? is this something new in the making of sauerbraten? our town can't seem to support a good german restaurant any more these days....:(

No, I have always used the Fannie Farmer recipe from her original 1896 Boston Cooking School cook book, which, if I remember correctly, requires 3 days of marinating, not 5. I also use her recipe for potato dumplings with the croutons in the middle and rolled in buttered breadcrumbs (recipe below) to accompany my sauerbraten.

The gingersnaps are crushed and used in place of flour to thicken the gravy. They give the gravy a very special flavour.

POTATO DUMPLINGS​

Ingredients:
  • 6 potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 cup flour, sifted
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbs Salt
  • 4 tsp butter, melted
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 Tbs onion, chopped
  • Croutons
  • ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
Instructions:

Boil potatoes with skin on. Refrigerate until ready to use. Peel boiled potatoes and press through a potato ricer. Combine potato, flour, egg, onion and seasonings into a dough.

Roll dough into balls the size of a golf ball. Press down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center and roll the dough around croutons to form a ball.
Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower dumplings into boiling salted water and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from water using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Combine butter and breadcrumbs and spread on plate. Roll dumplings in buttered breadcrumbs.

No, I have always used the Fannie Farmer recipe from her original 1896 Boston Cooking School cook book, which, if I remember correctly, requires 3 days of marinating, not 5. I also use her recipe for potato dumplings with the croutons in the middle and rolled in buttered breadcrumbs (recipe below) to accompany my sauerbraten.

The gingersnaps are crushed and used in place of flour to thicken the gravy. They give the gravy a very special flavour.

POTATO DUMPLINGS​

Ingredients:
  • 6 potatoes, unpeeled
  • 1 cup flour, sifted
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbs Salt
  • 4 tsp butter, melted
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 Tbs onion, chopped
  • Croutons
  • ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
Instructions:

Boil potatoes with skin on. Refrigerate until ready to use. Peel boiled potatoes and press through a potato ricer. Combine potato, flour, egg, onion and seasonings into a dough.

Roll dough into balls the size of a golf ball. Press down to flatten, insert 2 or 3 croutons into the center and roll the dough around croutons to form a ball.
Bring a large amount of salted water to a boil. Slowly lower dumplings into boiling salted water and boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove from water using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Combine butter and breadcrumbs and spread on plate. Roll dumplings in buttered breadcrumbs.

i had thought to just make spaetzle, but your recipe looks so very good. what are the croutons for, shaping purposes?

Vitauta,

I've never had this before, but have been wanting try for a Long Time..

of all the recipes I've searched, this one looked fairly realistic..

Sauerbraten Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

note: Juniper Berries are available here, I use them in Kraut dishes all the time!

Eric, Austin Tx.

recipe is looking good, but hey, we're still looking at four days with the four+ hours cooking time. it would be pretty awesome though wouldn't it, with the potato dumplings and all....:)

I always marinate mine for 3 days. Sure, it's a long time but it's not like you have to stand there and watch it.:ROFLMAO: You can let it steep for a much shorter time if you slice the meat before putting it in the marinade. I prefer the slow method but the faster one will work.

I do like to thicken/flavor with the crushed up gingersnaps. You'll still get great sauerbraten without, though.

I like Anna's gingersnaps (IKEA). I also use juniper berries and marinate it for 3-4 days, sometimes 5, depends on how lazy I am. It is one of my top 10 comfort foods. I don't know that a "quicky" version would be the same. .

I like Anna's gingersnaps (IKEA). I also use juniper berries and marinate it for 3-4 days, sometimes 5, depends on how lazy I am. It is one of my top 10 comfort foods. I don't know that a "quicky" version would be the same. .
That's the way my wife's side of the family makes it. It's also pretty good made with venison.

That's the way my wife's side of the family makes it. It's also pretty good made with venison.

This is one my mom used when we had overdosed on ground Venison:LOL:

[FONT=&quot]Hunters Venison Sauerbraten Klopse[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 pound ground venison[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup milk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup dry bread crumbs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 teaspoon ground cloves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 teaspoon ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/8 teaspoon ground allspice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons vegetable oil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup apple cider or white vinegar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 tablespoons packed brown sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3/4 teaspoon ground ginger[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 bay leaf[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tablespoons water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In a large bowl, mix together venison, milk, and bread crumbs, egg and seasonings. Shape into 1 inch balls.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs until evenly brown; drain excess fat. Stir in water, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and bay leaf. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off any fat. Transfer meatballs to a serving dish, and keep warm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Combine flour with 2 tablespoons of water, and whisk into pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour gravy over meatballs.[/FONT]

you will need at least 3 days.. the marinate has to go through the whole piece of roast...
and the longer the better

Back
Top Bottom