Saurkraut container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never made saurkraut Thumper,
But I would imagine that you could make it in any non-reactive type of container.
John.

I wouldn't use stainless steel myself, even tho it is nonreactive - use something straight-sided since you need to weight down the cabbage.

thumpershere2 said:
Does anyone know if a different kind of container can be used to make saurkraut other then a crock? Thanks for any help.

A porcelain coated canning kettle would work fine. The black ones with white speckles. They have straight sides. You can find them at WalMart, if you don't have one or know someone who does.

thumpershere2 said:
Does anyone know if a different kind of container can be used to make saurkraut other then a crock? Thanks for any help.

A porcelain coated canning kettle would work fine. The black ones with white speckles. They have straight sides. You can find them at WalMart, if you don't have one or know someone who does.

good info from National Center for Home Food Preservation

"What container should be used for fermenting kraut?

A 1-gallon container is needed for each 5 pounds of fresh vegetables. Therefore, a 5-gallon stone crock is of ideal size for fermenting about 25 pounds of fresh cabbage or cucumbers. Food-grade plastic and glass containers are excellent substitutes for stone crocks. Other 1- to 3-gallon non-food-grade plastic containers may be used if lined inside with a clean food-grade plastic bag. Freezer bags sold for packaging turkeys are suitable for use with 5-gallon containers. Caution: Be certain that foods contact only food-grade plastics. Do not use garbage bags or trash liners."

Making Sauerkraut at Home

Good Luck!

I'm weighing the cabbage down with a rock in a plastic food bag. So far not alot of scum on top but maybe this taakes more time. After I pushed cabbage down I put cheese cloth on top and then a plate and then the rock. I will let you know if it turns out. :D

thumpershere2 said:
I'm weighing the cabbage down with a rock in a plastic food bag. So far not alot of scum on top but maybe this taakes more time. After I pushed cabbage down I put cheese cloth on top and then a plate and then the rock. I will let you know if it turns out. :D

You can remove the cheese cloth which, as I understand it, is between the shredded cabbage and the plate. It serves no purpose.

Hopefully your plate is close to the diameter of your "crock".

A "rock in a plastic food bag" sounds good - the idea is to have an even weight on your plate so the pressure exerted is even and moisture extracted from the shredded cabbage covers the "plate" entirely, submerging the cabbage.

Cover your entire assembly ("crock"+"plate"+"weight") with any reasonably loose weave clean cloth - cotton/linen kitchen towels are fine - you don't need to use cheese cloth.

keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom