Savory muffin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a savory muffin recipe. It's for seafood muffins.
I'm posting the recipe for reference because I have a question about it.
The recipe says to stir together a mixture of shrimp, sour cream, cheese,
and celery. You then set this mixture aside and spoon it on top of the muffin batter prior to baking.

I'm wondering if I can just stir the sour cream mixture into the muffin batter itself or would this screw up the final product? If this is feasible, when should I add the shrimp mixture to the muffin batter? Would the additions I'd like to add and desiring to add the seafood mixture directly to the batter (rather then spoon it on top of the muffin batter) effect the consistency of the batter (make it too wet, too dry, too tough, etc.)

I would also like to add these additions.....

crab (would prepare it in some way.......cube it or chop it....)
olives (sliced or diced)
hard-cooked eggs (diced)

Here's the recipe:

Seafood Muffins:

1 c small shrimp
1/4 c grated cheese
1/4 c finely chopped celery
1/3 c sour cream
1-1/2 c flour
1 egg
2 t baking powder
1/4 t thyme
1/3 c oil
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
3/4 c milk

Combine shrimp, cheese, sour cream, and celery; set aside.
Sift together dry ingredients (flour-thyme). Slightly beat egg using
fork; beat in remaining liquid ingredients (milk and oil). Add dry mixture
to wet; mix just until combined. Spoon into pans. Top with about 1
T shrimp mixture per muffin. Bake @ 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes.

Shrimp Muffins

Yes I think it would mess it up. This is a two layer recipe. Basically you put the batter in first and then top it with the shrimp mixture. Don't mix it in, just put it on top. Adding the sour cream to the batter will make it too loose.

The additions you want to add should be just fine, just be sure the porportions are the same as the recipe. You can chop or shred the crab.

Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out!

I can easily omit the sour cream in all honesty. If I omitted the sour cream, then just added the seafood and desired seasonings directly to the batter would it screw up the recipe? (this includes adding the chopped veggies initially called for to the batter as well).

Savory Muffins

The sour cream is what will bind the other ingredients together and will also add it's own unique flavor. Why do you want to mix it all together? I think the intent of the recipe is to have a pretty muffin. I'm guessing that the batter kind of puffs up and around the seafood. Maybe if you told me why you want to leave out the sour cream and mix it all together I can give you a better answer.

I am assuming you mean bind the filling ingredients together. I would just prefer to add the shrimp to the muffin batter rather then use it as a topping. It's merely a matter of personal preference with preparing the recipe.

OK. Whatever works for you. I was just thinking that the batter would kind of envelope the filing and make it like kind of an empanada. :chef: It still sounds delicious though. Let me know how it turns out!

The obvious question is - have you made this recipe following the method exactly, and how did it turn out?

I'm kind of thinking like Laury - I don't see the "topping" remaining on "top" of the muffin. I can see the muffin coming up around the sides of the topping forming something like a muffin quiche ... or coming up over the topping and making a "filled" muffin where the toping becomes a filling.

If you want to just mix everything together - give it a shot and see how it comes out! But, please, let us know so we will all know.

Back
Top Bottom