Savoury Pancakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megaresp

Assistant Cook
I'm a big fan of American style pancakes (i.e. fluffy, rather than the pathetic crepe-wannabe nonsense they try to fob off on me here in London).

Recently, I've been experimenting with savoury pancakes, but without a great deal of success. Has anybody else tried this?

In particular, I'm keen to whip up something that...

• Tastes great on its own
  • Could replace toast in poached eggs and bacon on toast
  • Has little or no salt (bacon is salty enough)
So far, I've managed to modify the taste in ways that...ahem...don't enhance the flavour of the dish :ermm:.

The best combination so far is melted cheese with strips of crispy bacon. It's topped and bottomed with a pancake. It's OK, but the pancake is missing something. It's too bland, requiring too much cheese and/or bacon. But I can't seem to find that magic ingredient that transforms the pancake, so it can contribute to the flavour.

I'm happy to add herbs, spices and/or heat (e.g. chilli).

All comments and ideas gratefully received.

hello. here is a recipe my family loves. my mom added wheat germ to pancake and waffle batter, bread dough, pie crust and biscuits, it gives a nice nutty flavor and adds some health benefits but you can leave it out. just be sure to add back that amount of flour. we eat these for breakfast, lunch or dinner. i hope you enjoy.

Southern Corncakes W/ Corn and Bacon

1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cups flour - less 1 TBSP.
1 TBSP. Wheat germ
1 tsp. sugar
2 TBSP. melted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (8.50 oz) can corn drained
Bacon - fried , drained, and chopped - to taste
Vanilla or maple flavor- to taste (start with 1 tsp)

Mix dry ingredients together in small bowl. Mix wet ingredients in large bowl. Add dry to wet and stir just to combine. Add corn and bacon to batter. DO NOT OVER MIX (it will be lumpy). Add extra flour if needed to make a thick batter. If batter is to thick thin with milk.

I'm a big fan of American style pancakes (i.e. fluffy, rather than the pathetic crepe-wannabe nonsense they try to fob off on me here in London).

Recently, I've been experimenting with savoury pancakes, but without a great deal of success. Has anybody else tried this?

So far, I've managed to modify the taste in ways that...ahem...don't enhance the flavour of the dish :ermm:.

The best combination so far is melted cheese with strips of crispy bacon. It's topped and bottomed with a pancake. It's OK, but the pancake is missing something. It's too bland, requiring too much cheese and/or bacon. But I can't seem to find that magic ingredient that transforms the pancake, so it can contribute to the flavour.

Make corn cakes. I use Jiffy corn muffin mix, but any cornbread recipe.. mix up a little thin(add extra milk) and cook like pancakes. If you want extra flavor, instead of using vegetable oil in them... use bacon fat...

Serve with butter. Very tasty.

You're asking more of pancakes than from the toast they are replacing. But there's nothing wrong with that!

If you're trying to perfect pancake flavors, taste them on their own first, then as part of a dish you're making.

Dry herbs and spices offer a lot of opportunity. Garlic and onion powders (not salts) are a good starting point. commercial seasoning blends are another possibility.

Different liquids could work as well. Experiment with buttermilk, sour cream, creme fraiche.

How about some grated Parm?

Mix up a batch of batter and divide it onto portions. Mix different seasonings into the separate portions then cook and taste test.

Back
Top Bottom