Scallions vs. green onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You all make it not fun to be on a food site. Scallions and green onions are the same. Have nothing to do with shallots.

Gretchen said:
You all make it not fun to be on a food site. Scallions and green onions are the same. Have nothing to do with shallots.

Actually - they are both/all allums (onions). While a true onion only has one bulb and a true shallot produces a cluster of sets (like a head of garlic) - where you live will determine what they are called.

green onion = scallion = bunching onion = shallot (in Australia) = spring onion (in Britain) = Chinese onion = stone leek = cibol (in Scotland)

But wait - it get's to be even more fun ....

Like Buckytom described - spring onion is also sometimes used to describe an immature onion with a small bulb about the size of a golf ball ...

Spring onion is also used in conjunction with sweet onion = fresh onion = summer onion - such as Vidalia, Walla Walla, Sweet Imperial, Texas Spring Sweet, Texas 1015, Carzalia Sweet, Oso Sweet, Arizona, Granex, and Maui.

It's just one of those things that makes trying to figure out a recipe so much fun! You have to know where it came from ... and what they call things.

i prefer to say "suuji wa dokushin ni kagiru".

only kidding. i try to avoid them, they make my brain hurt. there's no shortcuts to soo-doh-koo.
i think if i was younger and had the time to waste, i would really get into it.

lindatooo said:
lol Kimchee is an acquired taste! My BIL used to call his daughter "Kimchee" when they lived in Korea - I was told the literal translation is "rotten cabbage"! :rolleyes:
LOL...We lived in Korea for two years and I never acquired a taste for it...my house girl made it and we had to let it ferment for 30 days..rotten cabbage is right!!

Green onions are nothing like shallots which have kind of a combination taste of a very mild onion and mild garlic. Shallots are more expensive than either green onions or garlic. We grow them both in our gardens and it saves quite a bit of money, especially with the shallots. Shallots are excellent to saute and add to green veggies, like broccoli or green beans, just a nice "hint" of flavor and not as strong as adding onion or garlic would be.

Shallot Pronounciation

It's phonetic. Shall as in "shall". Ot as in "ought".

Scallions vs Green Onions

I have been cooking for sixty years and some of my dishes I use the entire onion, leaf and all and would call them scallions. If I was just going to use just the bulb in my recipe, I would call it a green onion. Because I generally use them in salads I have also called them salad onions enough times that my wife knows what I am referring to and what I am making. Spring onions I refer to as baby onions because of the size of the bulb but they are all the same, just left to grow a little longer. I usually use spring (baby) onions in vegetable soups because they hold their shape better and easily palatable for their size. I also use baby onions in salads where I intend to cut the bulb very then to spread the flavor throughout the salad. Though I don’t usually use the term, some people call them shallots. Scallions should be kept in the vegetable bin of the refrigerator and used within three or four days at the most. All other onions, White, Yellow, and Burgundy should be kept in a cool dark place preferably in a well ventilated container, never in the plastic shopping bag you bring them home in. Also, never store onions next to potatoes which should be stored in an open ventilated container also.</SPAN>

Green onion, scallion, and spring onion are all names for the same thing: an immature onion. If you were to let a green onion continue to grow, it would eventually look like a plain old big white onion.

These are green onions...

greenonions5.jpg

These are shallots (which is in the onion family but NOT an onion)...

french-red-shallot.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom