Secrets to making a crispy homemade pizza crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All told, the single most important thing for a crispy crust is a very hot oven and a pizza stone that’s heated through. I heat my oven to 500F and let it heat my stone for 30-45 minutes before putting the pizza in.

All told, the single most important thing for a crispy crust is a very hot oven and a pizza stone that’s heated through. I heat my oven to 500F and let it heat my stone for 30-45 minutes before putting the pizza in.

Agreed although that is 2 things. :)
Yep the rest r all just expanding in the topic. all good points as well. Every inch starts getting a yard so to speak once you get these main points down.

I use a pizza stone, letting it preheat before adding the pizza. Still not as crisp as I want it to be, so I'm assuming I need another pizza dough recipe.

How long did you preheat the stone? I preheat mine for an hour at the highest oven setting.
I use a pizza stone, letting it preheat before adding the pizza. Still not as crisp as I want it to be, so I'm assuming I need another pizza dough recipe.

Ah Okay. You need to heat the stone much longer. That should get help get a crispy bottom crust. An hour at high temp should do it.
Definitely not that long. I simply heat the stone until the oven is temp.

Ah Okay. You need to heat the stone much longer. That should get help get a crispy bottom crust. An hour at high temp should do it.

Thank you, I will try that next time. I've heard some people just leave their stones in the oven at all times, whether they're using it or not. But I always take mine out when not in use.

Thank you, I will try that next time. I've heard some people just leave their stones in the oven at all times, whether they're using it or not. But I always take mine out when not in use.

I leave mine in the oven all the time simply because it's easier. But that is not important to a crispy crust.

The stone takes a long time to heat through. It should be heated for 45-60 minutes after the oven reaches temp.

I leave mine in the oven all the time simply because it's easier. But that is not important to a crispy crust.

The stone takes a long time to heat through. It should be heated for 45-60 minutes after the oven reaches temp.

Got it. I'll keep that in mind for next time. Thanks :)

Getting everything uniformly hot is the single most important issue.:)

I would consider it a detail. The most important thing is the heat collector (stone, cast iron, metal, etc) unless u have commercial oven. The rest r details.

I would consider it a detail. The most important thing is the heat collector (stone, cast iron, metal, etc) unless u have commercial oven. The rest r details.

...as I mentioned in my original post.

I prefer cast iron for a couple of reasons. First, it heats up much faster than a stone; second, it allows me to make whatever kind of crust I want, crispy and thin, crispy and thick, thick and soft, chewy, etc.; third, I can use it to make all kinds of other foods in; fourth, I can use it on a campfire, over a camp stove, on any kind of range top, under a broiler, in an oven, or even on top of an air-tight stove, if I had one. It is just super versatile. When I can get the same results from my cast iron that I can get from a pizza stone, why should I get another one-trick cooking device?

Just saying...:ermm:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I prefer cast iron for a couple of reasons. First, it heats up much faster than a stone; second, it allows me to make whatever kind of crust I want, crispy and thin, crispy and thick, thick and soft, chewy, etc.; third, I can use it to make all kinds of other foods in; fourth, I can use it on a campfire, over a camp stove, on any kind of range top, under a broiler, in an oven, or even on top of an air-tight stove, if I had one. It is just super versatile. When I can get the same results from my cast iron that I can get from a pizza stone, why should I get another one-trick cooking device?

I think I'm the odd man out, but I don't like the way cast iron makes the food taste. That and the smell of it makes me gag. Not sure why, it just always has.

I just have to say that "pizza stone" is a misnomer. I bake all kinds of breads on my baking stone. I also have a cast-iron griddle because it has its uses, too. Both are valuable for different reasons, imo.

Sam I am ...

I think I'm the odd man out, but I don't like the way cast iron makes the food taste. That and the smell of it makes me gag. Not sure why, it just always has.
I wonder if it's the iron taste you don't like. I don't mind it myself, and since I'm usually anemic, it doesn't bother me to get extra from the cast iron cookware I use.

I just have to say that "pizza stone" is a misnomer. I bake all kinds of breads on my baking stone. I also have a cast-iron griddle because it has its uses, too. Both are valuable for different reasons, imo.

Great ideas :)

Sam I am ...

:LOL:

I wonder if it's the iron taste you don't like. I don't mind it myself, and since I'm usually anemic, it doesn't bother me to get extra from the cast iron cookware I use.

Definitely don't like the iron taste. It's so... metallic. It's like blood - I don't mind the sight of blood, but the smell of it makes me want to toss my cookies.

Back
Top Bottom