Senior Dog's Diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awwww Dawgy,

No it wasn't upsetting to me at all. It was extremely helpful. Thank you. I was going to post back that yes she to did break out in hives. I assumed the hot spots where she's been chewing was because I've been feeding her eggs. Also thought her light case of lethargy later that night was caused by sheer exhaustion. Hannah is a high anxiety girl. She hates car rides. We don't push the issue with her unless we have to. Like in this case.

The article though I thought was geared more towards the toy pups. Did have side effect information that was for all dog breeds. Haven't finished reading the whole thing. Made Han Tri tip for dinner, she was ready to eat. I'll get back to it.

I do appreciate everyone's advice on what to feed her. At least I know to keep her on what her body can handle from day to day. Your right CW.. She's getting picky.

Doubt seriously the vet can do anything for her now. It's too late. The damage has been done.

When I talked with Animal Control about the licenses, I did mention that Hannah did have cancer. I wasn't told anything about a waiver. Just got a warning about late fees. She absolutely had to have that shot. I don't think waiver's even exist here. I think if it shows on the books that yes this dog has been with this owner for such and such a time, we should be given that right to choose our own pets road. Not the standard generic law.

Munky.

Well yeah I of course knew that there's no real formula. I never gave it any thought when my dog adopted me but I realize now that he's little (a bit under 20#) and that little dogs live longer on the average. Now I'm glad of it. He's still old but I hope we'll be together at least a few more years.

Funny thing, that damned dog gets cuter every year! :)

Munky, do you have to vaccinate? Are the pups out wandering the 'hood, or are they indoor dogs? If they're all elderly, then I would question the need.

(((Munky))) I have no idea what to say. I know I was devastated when my vet told me that my 15 year old, snarky cat, Sucha, had cancer and she didn't recommend treatment.

I hope you and Hannah have as many happy days together as possible.

Munky, do you have to vaccinate? Are the pups out wandering the 'hood, or are they indoor dogs? If they're all elderly, then I would question the need.

They have no desire to wander the hood. To them that kind of thing is for the baddy Pit Bulls that run rampant around here. My dogs know not to step onto the sidewalk. They catch themselves back up and stay in the yard.

Hannah is our only mature lady. The other 2 are younger.

It's the law here that to license your pets they have to have have the rabies shot. No certificate, no license. Boosters are optional.

Chef Munky said:
They have no desire to wander the hood. To them that kind of thing is for the baddy Pit Bulls that run rampant around here. My dogs know not to step onto the sidewalk. They catch themselves back up and stay in the yard.

Hannah is our only mature lady. The other 2 are younger.

It's the law here that to license your pets they have to have have the rabies shot. No certificate, no license. Boosters are optional.

Poor sweet Hannah. Like she's going to bite someone. Or gum them. Or see them.

We hesitate to walk Beagle along the river, as we live out of town. There was a big stink with a lady walking her two well-behaved Shitzus along the river, the cops confiscated the dogs as they didn't have city licenses, though all their shots were up to date. I have a feeling someone stays up late thinking of stupid laws!

Give Hannah an extra hug from me!

Poor sweet Hannah. Like she's going to bite someone. Or gum them. Or see them.

We hesitate to walk Beagle along the river, as we live out of town. There was a big stink with a lady walking her two well-behaved Shitzus along the river, the cops confiscated the dogs as they didn't have city licenses, though all their shots were up to date. I have a feeling someone stays up late thinking of stupid laws!

Give Hannah an extra hug from me!
We have a hoity toity, fairly wealthy, town here called Westmount. It is surrounded by Montreal. You have to get a special non-resident license to walk your dog there! They have the best dog parks and don't want non-residents using them. (In spite of the fact that there isn't one hospital in Westmount, they use the ones in Montreal and they didn't want a Metro station. They gave in and allowed one Metro station located at the Westmount / Montreal border, to have an exit in Westmount.)

I've done just about everything when it comes to finding s/thing a dog would eat--I've used buttermilk to entice a dog who ate maggoty kibble out of a pot (to get her to actually eat decent food) to thinning baby food meat so that I could make a gruel out of it. Foods that dogs have eaten:

buttermilk on top of stuff
yogurt
sardines
canned Mackerel
pasta
cheese grated on top of stuff
salmon
tuna
ground beef
hot dogs
cottage cheese
chicken liver
beef liver
ground meats
homecooked variety foods
boiled chicken or turkey

Update: Vet's In Deep S!

Sorry for the late update. I've been nothing but a Yo-Yo, Hannah's Yo-Yo lately. She's resigned herself to accept help from the pack. I think it's been somewhat of a relief & comfort to her that were all here. Our other 2 dogs only leave her side briefly now. They know what's going on.
We've managed to get her to eat a little more. Keeping her diet to soft foods only, but frequently. If she gets lost on the patio she just lays down. We don't let her outside anymore unless she's on a leash. In all honesty I doubt she will be here next week.

I called the SPCA today asking where all the dogs new tags were. I was informed that they only received the certificate for 1 dog. I paid for 3, they haven't according to them received a dime. My bank account says differently. I'll deal with that problem later.

This is where she got testy. Mind you it wasn't geared towards me. She's now going after our Vet. May God help him. I told her what happened with Hanney. Whoa! She couldn't believe it. According to her it's NOT the SPCA's responsibility to inform owners of senior pets of the side effects of the Rabies Vaccine.
It's souly by law the Vet's responsibility. Only the Vet is allowed to give the shots, between a certain time of day. Usually morning/ afternoon. Our Vet not only failed to tell us, but he offed the job to his assistants. He was ticked that he had to be elsewhere and he was running late. My dogs were first in the office. Last to leave. We waited over 3 hours.
Had that Man any conscience at all Hannah would have been able to be exempt from the rule. All that Moron had to do was write a note stating that because of her health she's exempt. She told me that would have been totally acceptable. Put on the books as still legal. I didn't even need to trick Han to get her in the truck and stress her out at all! That's what I did.

She told me she was very sorry about Hannah. That after she was finished with me she was personally going to call that Vet herself. As she put it "I'll make this right for you. Hannah's a lucky dog to have a home like yours."

So he's not only going to have his chops busted by the county for Hannah. He's most likely got himself an investigation to how he runs his office. Sweet justice isn't much of a comfort right now. But hey if spares some kid their pets it's been well worth mentioning.

Munky.

Oh, what an ordeal, Munky. Hope some justice gets done. This was ridiculous, poor Hannah.

Sorry for the late update. I've been nothing but a Yo-Yo, Hannah's Yo-Yo lately. She's resigned herself to accept help from the pack. I think it's been somewhat of a relief & comfort to her that were all here. Our other 2 dogs only leave her side briefly now. They know what's going on.
We've managed to get her to eat a little more. Keeping her diet to soft foods only, but frequently. If she gets lost on the patio she just lays down. We don't let her outside anymore unless she's on a leash. In all honesty I doubt she will be here next week.

I called the SPCA today asking where all the dogs new tags were. I was informed that they only received the certificate for 1 dog. I paid for 3, they haven't according to them received a dime. My bank account says differently. I'll deal with that problem later.

This is where she got testy. Mind you it wasn't geared towards me. She's now going after our Vet. May God help him. I told her what happened with Hanney. Whoa! She couldn't believe it. According to her it's NOT the SPCA's responsibility to inform owners of senior pets of the side effects of the Rabies Vaccine.
It's souly by law the Vet's responsibility. Only the Vet is allowed to give the shots, between a certain time of day. Usually morning/ afternoon. Our Vet not only failed to tell us, but he offed the job to his assistants. He was ticked that he had to be elsewhere and he was running late. My dogs were first in the office. Last to leave. We waited over 3 hours.
Had that Man any conscience at all Hannah would have been able to be exempt from the rule. All that Moron had to do was write a note stating that because of her health she's exempt. She told me that would have been totally acceptable. Put on the books as still legal. I didn't even need to trick Han to get her in the truck and stress her out at all! That's what I did.

She told me she was very sorry about Hannah. That after she was finished with me she was personally going to call that Vet herself. As she put it "I'll make this right for you. Hannah's a lucky dog to have a home like yours."

So he's not only going to have his chops busted by the county for Hannah. He's most likely got himself an investigation to how he runs his office. Sweet justice isn't much of a comfort right now. But hey if spares some kid their pets it's been well worth mentioning.

Munky.
I'm so sorry that the first person you spoke with at AC did not realize/mention this. And, that your vet did not. For everyone reading this thread who has a pet who will s/day be a sr, please remember this and talk with your vet about it.

Next time I have to provide a rabies certificate for my almost 15 year old dog I'm going to visit the vet first and discuss this issue before I have him vaccinated.

What To Say?

Hannah took a turn for the worst yesterday. She refused all food. Couldn't keep water down.

Last night around 1am she had a seizure, a few minutes later another one. The kids told my husband, Get Mom up!

I can't talk right now about the details. We lost Hannah this morning.

So sad to hear this, Munky. Hannah had a good life, and was much beloved, RIP.

Hannah took a turn for the worst yesterday. She refused all food. Couldn't keep water down.

Last night around 1am she had a seizure, a few minutes later another one. The kids told my husband, Get Mom up!

I can't talk right now about the details. We lost Hannah this morning.
I am so very sorry, Munky. As I have experienced that exact sort of thing many times, I know how very stressful that is and the feeling of not being able to do anything. However, to die in the presence of those who love you and in the arms of someone who loved you, and you loved, well, I can't think of a better way to go. Take good care and think of all the happy times you had together. As I recall, Hannah was 15, and it was only this last little while that wasn't good time in dog time. Don't dwell on this, grab a happy memory and celebrate all the love and good times.

Munky, I am so sorry but glad that Hannah had you and the family around her. My thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom